Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRISX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Hello, I am upgrading from a 6 16GB, mainly because I am always out of storage and sometimes slow. I am tired of barely managing it with all the tricks available to save space. I have around 2 years with it.

This time I would like to have 128GB min, I was inclined for an iphone 8 because I wanted to keep it budget-conscious (cheap!) since I really don't use the phone too much and coming from a very old design it still will be an upgrade. But now the worm of newer model is on me, mainly due the lack of bezels and looks.

Based on that, what would you recommend? I am looking the XR, although at my carrier (outside US) there are payment plans where doesn't represent a lot more of investment when jumping to the 11 (although I am not a huge fan of the square where the cameras are) and for me the camera as long as it is decent, should be fine.

Now if I backup a bit again, there is also the possibility of a refurbished X, which looks good but maybe is already not the best value option considring the XR. ¿?

From value and usability perspective, leaving the spec buzz a bit out, which in your opinion would be the best value?

Thanks!

Jimbo Limbo

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Toronto
A low price phone is rumoured to be coming in Feb/March. See the roundup on this site labelled iPhone SE 2. I would check out the new product before buying something, if you can.

MRISX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
All rumors point out it could be an iphone 8 design, which I would like to skip. But you are right, might be worth to wait.
What about the X, is not a good option in my case?

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I went from my 16g 6s to a 64g 8 and have been perfectly happy. I loved my 6s and would still have been using it if it hadn't taken a dive on me. My 8 is essentially the same thing only 4 times the storage of my old 6s.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
All rumors point out it could be an iphone 8 design, which I would like to skip. But you are right, might be worth to wait.
The 8 is slightly smaller than the X and has the same chipset as well as wireless charging while being cheaper. If your set on he X, I'd suggest looking into a used XS as it is more current has upgrades over the X and will be supported slightly longer

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
I have an X and I can tell you even after a battery replacement, the battery life is crap by Apple standard, another thread is confirming this, for the Xs as well. You probably want to avoid buying the refurb X for this reason, the Xs is an improvement and only slightly more expensive. The XR screen isn’t as sharp which is why I’m not a fan, but it’s known for great battery life.

If you want newest camera and performance with likely longer support, maybe get the iPhone 9. Otherwise XR is a decent choice.

johny328i

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Bulgaria
If you want a compact phone with the latest and greatest - iPhone 11 Pro. Xs is at a good price now, but the battery life really is disappointing.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I have an X and I can tell you even after a battery replacement, the battery life is crap by Apple standard, another thread is confirming this, for the Xs as well. You probably want to avoid buying the refurb X for this reason, the Xs is an improvement and only slightly more expensive. The XR screen isn’t as sharp which is why I’m not a fan, but it’s known for great battery life.

If you want newest camera and performance with likely longer support, maybe get the iPhone 9. Otherwise XR is a decent choice.
The XS allows about 2hours more screentime than the 6s/7. I wouldn’t call everything before the 11 series crap as the Apple standard for battery life just recently improved

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
It sounds like you would be happy with more storage so long as the battery life was good and it was able to run the current iOS. I get all that with the iPhone 7 128Gb.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
The XS allows about 2hours more screentime than the 6s/7. I wouldn’t call everything before the 11 series crap as the Apple standard for battery life just recently improved

That's on paper, in practice starting from the Xs and Xr the battery life has improved massively over the X and the 6,7,8s.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019

The XR is currently the best value, especially refurbished. The 9/SE 2 will top it soon, but if you wanna pass on that design - XR/11 is the best choice. The X, while better design-wise is known for poor battery and the camera performs poorly in anything but perfect lighting.

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
Personally I updated from an iPhone 5s to a 7 mainly because at that time the 8 was the current model and outrageously expensive in Australia. My wife updated to an XR last year but I find it incredibly heavy and clunky and I still find having the Home button a distinct advantage but I’m sure I would get used to that. The possibility of an SE 2 or iPhone 9 really appeals to me. I have a feeling the next iOS will not be compatible with the iPhone 7 but I could be wrong.

mvray

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
My 6S is still chugging along nicely with one battery replacement so far. Wife's 6+ was circling the drain and upgraded to a 11. Very nice device and kinda thinking about one for me too. I'll see what's available this fall since the 5Gs are coming out. We tend to keep things for awhile.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The possibility of an SE 2 or iPhone 9 really appeals to me. I have a feeling the next iOS will not be compatible with the iPhone 7 but I could be wrong.
A9 is still supported and Apple just released the A10-based iPad 10.2 inch late 2019. I expect the iPhone 7 is quite safe.

Of course, at this point in time battery's probably not so good anymore unless it was only used very, very lightly. I'm a pretty light user myself but I get poor signal at work so the cellular radios have to work harder ergo use more power. Plus I really do want a dual SIM capable iPhone and wireless charging so I'm quite looking forward to the SE2/9 and/or iPhone 12.

MRISX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Well I am now decided for a iPhone 11, just wondering between the 64 or 128 GB. I will get it under a replacement plan where the monthly charge is not that high and I can return it on 24 months and they will give me back a pre-defined amount (around 30%) of the price or just keep it. On 2 years MAYBE I will return it because I would want a 5G phone ...so not sure if considering my budget-consciousness (CHEAP!) I can save at least some bucks and stay with the 64. (which still is much more than the 16GB I have now).

The reason I want to keep it cheap is because myphone usage is not that hard, and although I do work on it,is usually limited to emails which are not that demanding.

Reactions: MandiMac

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The x has pretty terrible battery life from what I hear. The xr has slightly better camera, the battery life is fantastic, and the screen is bigger. Speaker are slightly better. I’d go with the xr. If you are on a budget go unlocked xr on swappa.com. You probably score an xr for $350. (I briefly had an xr used for $600 back when it just came out in December 2018). Then get visible $25 unlimited on Verizon network and you’re set.

yagru

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
I also still use the 6s with no issues and will most likely update to this new 9/SE2.. i spent some time with an 11 and couldnt get used to not having a button .. probably will upgrade my whole family to this model.

Last edited:

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Depends on the actual budget (are you buying outright or over x amount of months?) but personally XR or 11 would be no brainers, and if you are happy with paying the extra £100 for the latter you get a better camera (although the XR camera is fantastic). If you are ok with the uplift in size, I think the 8 would be a mistake due to inferior camera, no FaceID, very dated design, slower, less future proofed and large bezels etc.

In short, XR and 11 are basically the same, save for the camera and apparently battery life (although the XR has great battery life). Oh, the processor is an upgrade but the average person will notice no difference (I am currently testing a pro max and there is barely any speed difference between it and my XR).
[automerge]1580377874[/automerge]
Well I am now decided for a iPhone 11, just wondering between the 64 or 128 GB. I will get it under a replacement plan where the monthly charge is not that high and I can return it on 24 months and they will give me back a pre-defined amount (around 30%) of the price or just keep it. On 2 years MAYBE I will return it because I would want a 5G phone ...so not sure if considering my budget-consciousness (CHEAP!) I can save at least some bucks and stay with the 64. (which still is much more than the 16GB I have now).

The reason I want to keep it cheap is because myphone usage is not that hard, and although I do work on it,is usually limited to emails which are not that demanding.
If you managed with 16gb, 64gb should be fine but for an extra £50 it is probably worth getting 128gb.

MandiMac

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2012

Go for 64 GB and never look back. 5G data plans are more expensive, too. You'll be a happy camper :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.