Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
I'm on the fence about upgrading from my iPhone XR to an iPhone 13 (maybe Pro).

I love the Portrait mode on my XR. As it has one camera, I've understood it to rely on software for the portrait mode. This means I don't need to back away from my subject for portrait mode and can take portrait mode photos of my newborn with her in my arms.

My wife has an iPhone X and I tried the portrait mode on her phone. The results for subjects at a normal difference are massively better (not to mention I can use it for photos other than people!). But the main issue I was having was that I had to back away from the subject to make it work. So, I could no longer use portrait mode for a photo of my daughter in my arms, or on the bouncer close to me etc.

So my question is: has the portrait system is later iPhones (iPhone 11, 12) been updated so that this is no longer / less of an issue?

And I suppose if anyone here went from an XR to an iPhone 11/12 I'd love to hear how it has gone?

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
On the non pro iPhone Apple still uses software to achieve the effect. Only the pro iPhones use both lenses to calculate the effect.

penrua

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2021
On the non pro iPhone Apple still uses software to achieve the effect. Only the pro iPhones use both lenses to calculate the effect.

So in theory the non-Pro version will be able to take the Portrait mode closer up, whereas the Pro will not? Hm... I was thinking of going all out for the Pro (if I'm spending so much on a phone may as well go all out...) but now I'm second guessing myself.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
If I cover Ultra-wide lens on my iphone 12 i can't shoot a portrait (I don't get a bokeh...)

Deifie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2016
It should be the same as on the 11 Pro and 12 Pro, in portrait mode you can choose 1x or 2x Zoom.
So it uses the wide lens or the telephoto lens.
On the regular iPhone 13 you will only have the 1x option.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Are you sure? I knew having two cameras was enough to have an hardware generated 3d map (or the Halide app creators says as such)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.