Upgrading from ipod 3g to 5g questions!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kurdt_the_goat, Apr 18, 2007.

1. kurdt_the_goat macrumors newbie

Hey :) I've got an oldie 20gb 3g iPod and i'm looking to get an 80gb 5g one.
    I have the dock and dock-USB connector, and i'm wondering if the 5g will still connect to the older dock?
    Also, will my old wall-outlet power cable still charge the 5g?

Thanks in advance!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Your older dock should still work, as will your power adaptor. However, your old dock would have connected with a Firewire cable which will allow your new iPod to charge but will not allow it to sync with your computer. The USB cable that comes with the new iPod should work with the dock instead though. :)

3. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'd guess your dock WON'T work. Not it it's the one that came with the 3G. I mean the physical connector is the same, but the shape is wrong. The newer docks let you put a little insert thing into them to make them the right shape for a particular iPod model.

You can just connect the cable directly to your iPod though instead of to the dock. But as mentioned, if you're using Firewire, that will only charge a 5G iPod, it won't let it sync. So probably you'd want to just keep using your current dock and cable for the 3G, and the new cable for the 5G.

You can also use your old power brick that came with the 3G to charge your 5G.

4. Mac Dummy macrumors regular

As long as your not using Firewire to sync its fine, USB only for syncing the 5g Ipods. If you still have an old firewire dock cable and want to use it to charge the Ipod it'll work. I think that the new Ipods come with dock adapters for older docks, but I'm not 100% sure.

5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Nope, they come with adapters for new universal docks. The old one won't work.

6. vader26 macrumors regular

I had a 3G 40 gig and recently got a 5G 30 gig - the dock adapter will definately not work with the old dock, but everything else works fine. The only thing is the 30 gig does not fit snug (not sure how the 80 gig will fit), but it charges and transfers data for me (using the USB cable).

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry for getting the dock thing wrong. I swear my housemate's video iPod fits in my dock though, but mine's from a fourth generation iPod. I didn't realise they changed the dock between 3G and 4G.