Upgrading from iPod touch 1G to 2G -- will Restore work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mazda 3s, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

OK, I already have an iPod touch 32GB (first generation) and wasn't planning on buying a 2G model. However, Microsoft is running their 30% off Live Search promotion with eBay again, so I was able to score a 32GB iPod touch 2G for $275 after discount.

My question, however, is when my new iPod touch arrives, will I be able to do a restore to get back all of my current settings/wallpapers/email accounts/Apps Positioning on the Home Screen/WiFi hotspot settings/etc.?

It seems as though restoring across generations and the differing hardware may be problematic, but I hope there's a way without me having to take the time to manually get everything back to the way I want it.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

It should work as long as both iPods have the same firmware. So I would suggest updating them both to 2.1 before runnng the restore. When you click restore iTunes will ask you to select the backup you would like to restore to and you simply select the one for your old iPod and there you go.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I wouldn't suggest it. The two iPods have different hardware feature sets. Some people may have noticed that the only firmware on the new iPod Touches is 2.1.1. I don't believe the firmware from the first gen Touch has the software to support the new features.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

when i got my 2g i restored from the backup of my 1g and everything works exept Mail (but i dont htink thats the problem)

5. Obama macrumors member

I had a 32 1st gen and now have a 32 2nd gen . no problems restoring from the old.
    The only thing Is that a few apps that were compatible with touch before are no longer compatible. (loopt & Shazaam)

6. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

So I would assume that the app incompatibility is a 2G touch problem and not a restore problem?

7. Mazda 3s thread starter macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

Surprise Surprise. I'm having the same problem. Everything else works, but one of my email account is freaking out.

It will start downloading mail, then it will get stuck at "Downloading 1 of 100 messages" then it just times out.

Grrr, I guess I'll have to start from scratch.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

idt thats the problem. i started from scratch, Mail lasted an hour now back 2 the same problem.

also about the app incompatibility, thats iTunes 8 not the new ipod.