Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hansvon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
How do I upgrade? I feel retarded for not knowing, but basically I have to restore, right? And then do all that jazz with QuickPWN. Sooo......do I lose my calendar appts, cuz that's really important to me.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I cant be 100% sure (as I'm no expert) but a simple backup via iTunes should ackup all your settings.

the way to jailbreak is to get ya hands on 2.1 do a fresh update then run quickpwn and well after having my first use of quickpwn over the weekend it really is quick and straight forward just follow onscreen instructions

hansvon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hmm I guess my question is........what's the first step in going from JB1.1.4 to 2.1? Restore it to original settings? Or say "Yes" when it itunes offers me the upgrade?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
yeh if you need to be on a clean 2.1 so yeh best to backup in iTunes then restore then when asked you could restore from backup then run quickpwn

AB-

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
So if I'm sitting here with a standard 1.1.4 iPod Touch.. and want to jailbreak do I need to upgrade to 2.1 before I use something like "ZiPhone" ?

I'm reading as many tutorials and guides as I can, trying to see what is the best thing to do..

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I got you covered

1) Sync with iTunes to make a backup
2) Use QuickPwn to make a modified ipsw from that one. (Make sure iTunes has dowloaded the 2.1 software, QuickPwn needs it to make the modded one)
3) Hold option while you click restore in iTunes and select the modified ipsw.
4) Wait.
5) Pick the most recent backup in iTunes initial iPhone setup.
6) Done.

Floyd1234

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
I was having this problem last night. Have no fear, all you need to do is manually download the ipsw files, and then you can update to 2.0.0. Once you get that far it is a piece of cake.

if you are at 1.1.5 or below itunes and your ipod keep getting in this circular battle of:

ipod: YOU UPDATE

itunes: NO YOU UPDATE

ipod: NO YOU UPDATE, DOUCHEBAG

itunes: YEAH WELL YOU ARE A BUTTHEAD, BUTTFACE

ipod: YEAH WELL AT LEAST IM NOT A RESOURCE HOG

itunes: that was a low blow :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.