Upgrading From Late 2006 White iMac...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Austin M., Mar 29, 2014.

1. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Jul 29, 2010
    I've searched through the forums for a little bit and couldn't find a lot of resolution for my particular situation.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade my ancient white iMac (late 2006 model with 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and upgraded 3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM) and need some advice on which laptop to get.

My budget is about $1300-$1400 as I'm going off to college and need a computer for school and a computer than I can connect a second display too for at home. I'm looking at either the MacBook Air (the most expensive model) or the MacBook Pro with Retina Display (the least expensive $1299 model). I'll be doing a bit of gaming, not super heavy, and will be using Final Cut Pro X to edit my tech and audio videos, and just everyday basic tasks.

What's the best for me? Mostly worried about speed and power. Thanks!
  2. fig macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Neither one has a dedicated graphics card so the gaming performance will be similar, though the MBP does have the updated Iris graphics which will make it a bit faster there.

As they've both got SSDs I'd go with the MBP, the more powerful CPU will benefit you a bit more when it comes to video and graphics work.
  3. east85 macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2010
    If you want speed and power definitely go with the MBP over the Air.
  4. comda macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2011
    i would most defiantly go for the macbook pro. The air is GREAT for students/business men looking for a long lasting battery, speed, lightweight and very portable, but sadly it wasnt designed for gaming as the on board graphics is only a intel Hd 4000 i think? and being very thin and small cooling while gaming could be an issue. With the macbook pro you have much for graphics power, better cooling system and a faster laptop overall.