Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Hi, I have found lots of people starting to talk about this, as people say, developers/ non developers who have the DP 4 Lion installed on their Mac can't upgrade to the retail Mac Lion from the app store, is that true? Please someone help me find out, I have DP 4 installed and if I have to go to Snow Leopard to upgrade, that sounds silly and it would be hectic and annoying to upgrade to Lion. What should I do if I have to downgrade to snow leopard to upgrade, is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Kevin

I previously asked the same question on engadget, and someone has a solution but I'm not sure if it will work (you can find it here - http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/mac-os-x-10-6-8-update-now-available/)

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hi, I have found lots of people starting to talk about this, as people say, developers/ non developers who have the DP 4 Lion installed on their Mac can't upgrade to the retail Mac Lion from the app store, is that true? Please someone help me find out, I have DP 4 installed and if I have to go to Snow Leopard to upgrade, that sounds silly and it would be hectic and annoying to upgrade to Lion. What should I do if I have to downgrade to snow leopard to upgrade, is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Kevin

I previously asked the same question on engadget, and someone has a solution but I'm not sure if it will work (you can find it here - http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/23/mac-os-x-10-6-8-update-now-available/)

Did you read the seed note?
"You will not be able to upgrade from the Lion Developer Preview 4 to the final Lion release."

You will need to do a clean install.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Is there a way to do a clean install without deleting the stuff on ur computer?

farmersland

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Munich
I think we will have to wait until lion comes out to see how all these things really work. I wouldn't bet on that you will have to make a clean install.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
I have a back up from my DP 3 and Snow Leopard through time machine, can i go back to DP 3 and upgrade then?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have a back up from my DP 3 and Snow Leopard through time machine, can i go back to DP 3 and upgrade then?

You can't upgrade from DP 3 either, as the seed note states. DP4 should not be installed on a production machine for just this reason. You should be prepared to install SL then Lion and pull any data needed from a backup.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
You can't upgrade from DP 3 either, as the seed note states. DP4 should not be installed on a production machine for just this reason. You should be prepared to install SL then Lion and pull any data needed from a backup.

alright, so if i restore my system with my SL back up in time machine, then i will be able to pull back the apps i want currently by backing up the DP4 i have right now in the future right? (sorry, I didn't see the note there and used this comp coz i only have one) :S

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
alright, so if i restore my system with my SL back up in time machine, then i will be able to pull back the apps i want currently by backing up the DP4 i have right now in the future right? (sorry, I didn't see the note there and used this comp coz i only have one) :S

That should work. Install SL, use the TM version you made while in SL. Remember not to use the TM version you made while in Lion in SL.
Clone your drive now to as well using CCC or SuperDuper as another precaution.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
That should work. Install SL, use the TM version you made while in SL. Remember not to use the TM version you made while in Lion in SL.
Clone your drive now to as well using CCC or SuperDuper as another precaution.

ok, so i install SL, then after that i can use TM again to get the datas from the DP 4 back up, and what about the clone? i can use CCC but may I ask why? :)

farmersland

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Munich
Why would the seed note that Apple supplies mislead us?
It clearly states you can't upgrade.

I upgraded from DP3 to DP4. The seed notes don't always tell us the truth. So I think there is some way to upgrade from DP4 to the retail version. The only problem is how to get the retail version because I think it's not possible to download and install it from a lion developer preview. But I am sure that there will be some kind of workaround and that is the reason why I said that we should wait until lion actually comes out.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
ok, so i install SL, then after that i can use TM again to get the datas from the DP 4 back up, and what about the clone? i can use CCC but may I ask why? :)

You should not use TM data that was made in Lion within SL. I thought you had a TM backup from SL that you were going to use?

If you don't have a TM backup or clone made while using SL, then a clone of your current drive in Lion will enable you to pull data back once you re-install SL.
It is up to you to decide what data you need to restore.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
I upgraded from DP3 to DP4. The seed notes don't always tell us the truth. So I think there is some way to upgrade from DP4 to the retail version. The only problem is how to get the retail version because I think it's not possible to download and install it from a lion developer preview. But I am sure that there will be some kind of workaround and that is the reason why I said that we should wait until lion actually comes out.

well we all know for sure now that we can't upgrade from DP, coz the software available for public to upgrade to retail is on the 10.6.8, which i need to go back to SL, i can't wait till the last minute to wait for someone to find a workaround, coz i only need this DP4 to learn developing apps. i'm still learning lol :D so i was kinda shocked to find out that i can't upgrade to retail :S

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
You should not use TM data that was made in Lion within SL. I thought you had a TM backup from SL that you were going to use?

If you don't have a TM backup or clone made while using SL, then a clone of your current drive in Lion will enable you to pull data back once you re-install SL.
It is up to you to decide what data you need to restore.

Oh I see about the back up one :D alright, and about the TM, the datas were apps and some iTunes musics (only some) and office documents, pdfs, etc... so i thought by restoring my mac to SL, then open up TM again to pull data from the latest back up should be fine?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

The notes have stated from you can't upgrade Lion Developer Preview X to the final Lion release. There was never a problem upgrading from the DP versions to the next.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Oh I see about the back up one :D alright, and about the TM, the datas were apps and some iTunes musics (only some) and office documents, pdfs, etc... so i thought by restoring my mac to SL, then open up TM again to pull data from the latest back up should be fine?

Unless you exclude folders TM backs up everything. You are better off using a clone if you want to selectively restore music, documents, etc.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Unless you exclude folders TM backs up everything. You are better off using a clone if you want to selectively restore music, documents, etc.

Alright, I see what you mean, so my last question is that if I selectively restore the docs from a clone, how would i do that? i have an external drive, but connecting to my computer means i have to manually boot up to the drive. How do i transfer the data?

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Developer Previews are a work in progress, so it makes sense that you can got from one developer preview to another. 10.7 Final/GM installs assuming you have snow leopard in order to appeal to the masses and ensure that files from developer version are not going to be left on the system.

If you're learning Mac OS X development, the Developer Preview is not for you. And I highly suggest learning command line interface programming before venturing into graphical user interface style.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Alright, I see what you mean, so my last question is that if I selectively restore the docs from a clone, how would i do that? i have an external drive, but connecting to my computer means i have to manually boot up to the drive. How do i transfer the data?

Install SL, plug in the drive. Move the data to your SL volume.
Or Install SL, upgrade to Lion ,plug in the drive, move the data to your Lion volume.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Developer Previews are a work in progress, so it makes sense that you can got from one developer preview to another. 10.7 Final/GM installs assuming you have snow leopard in order to appeal to the masses and ensure that files from developer version are not going to be left on the system.

If you're learning Mac OS X development, the Developer Preview is not for you. And I highly suggest learning command line interface programming before venturing into graphical user interface style.

alright :D thnx for the input :p i got this one from my friend who is a developer, so he gave me this DP.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Install SL, plug in the drive. Move the data to your SL volume.
Or Install SL, upgrade to Lion ,plug in the drive, move the data to your Lion volume.

yea, i was wondering the moving the data part though, coz when i connect the volume/external, it would have messy files right? since it's a drive with a full OS in it? or do i have to manually move it from the messy files?, thnx

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
yea, i was wondering the moving the data part though, coz when i connect the volume/external, it would have messy files right? since it's a drive with a full OS in it? or do i have to manually move it from the messy files?, thnx

If you don't restore system files you are fine. Docs, music, photos are all independent of the OS. Just don't copy /System over :D
Yes, you have to select the files you want such as Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.

K3V1Nbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
If you don't restore system files you are fine. Docs, music, photos are all independent of the OS. Just don't copy /System over :D
Yes, you have to select the files you want such as Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.

Alright thanks for the help mrapplegate :D u r awesome!!!

K3V1Nbot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.