Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeus86

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York, NY
Will I be able to get updates using the GM or will I need to upgrade to Lion on the release date? Is that even possible or will I need to reinstall Snow Leopard then upgrade?

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Golden Master is the Released product if there are no show stopping bugs, as has been said a million times over.

More like a kazillion. Too bad there is no search feature or they could use that to find the answer.....oh wait....there is one?!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Will I be able to get updates using the GM or will I need to upgrade to Lion on the release date? Is that even possible or will I need to reinstall Snow Leopard then upgrade?

You shouldn't pirate software but if you are going to do it you should at least know what you are doing before doing it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You shouldn't pirate software but if you are going to do it you should at least know what you are doing before doing it.

There really is no point of telling people this. There are only two ways to get Lion at this point, as a developer and by torrenting. It is not possible to casually not know that it’s copyright infringement if the person isn’t a developer.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
There really is no point of telling people this. There are only two ways to get Lion at this point, as a developer and by torrenting. It is not possible to casually not know that it’s copyright infringement if the person isn’t a developer.

He's either a thief by using a torrent or is in total violation of the Non Disclosure Agreement. Either way there's an ethics problem.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Or he could be doing what many others are doing--using GM now, and then paying for Lion when it comes out.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Or he could be doing what many others are doing--using GM now, and then paying for Lion when it comes out.

Any way your rationalize it if he is in fact downloading it illegally, it's illegal. If (and again this is assuming he's downloaded via an illegal means) he decides to come clean that is still only a rationalization. It's kind of like the guy that robs a bank with the intention of repaying every cent he steals, he may pay it back but that doesn't negate the original crime.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
There are many, many, many people using the GM legally right now, myself included.

I thought it was implied, given where the conversation has headed, that I was referring to those who are not legally using Lion.

It bothers me. If you go on craigslist, it's more than likely you'll see people selling their Macbook Airs or Pros or whatever with Lion GM on it. I searched my craigslist quickly and found three different ads for separate things like that.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
There are many, many, many people using the GM legally right now, myself included.

If they were using it legally then they would be under a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Since you just told us that you were using the Lion GM you violated the NDA and are now using it illegally. You are not legally using it if you are talking about it on a public forum violating your NDA.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
If they were using it legally then they would be under a Non-Disclosure Agreement. Since you just told us that you were using the Lion GM you violated the NDA and are now using it illegally. You are not legally using it if you are talking about it on a public forum violating your NDA.

Admitting that you use Lion is not a violation of the NDA. Nor is talking about any details that Apple has released on its website or in any public forum (e.g. the WWDC keynote).

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL

You wanna know what's not fun? Trying to read anything about what's going on with Lion GM as the days lead up to release because every thread has people in it acting superior and making assumptions about how people got Lion.

Rename this sub-forum "SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER" and 90% of this BS would be on topic.

As for the OP, no one knows 100% for sure because no previous version of OS X has been distributed by the App Store. What we can do is look at some other similarities.

Most likely, you will not be able to purchase Lion through the App Store on a system which is already running Lion GM since they will most likely be identical. I believe it will give you the INSTALLED button when you look at Lion in the App Store on release.

On the same front, because the GM and release are identical you should receive the 10.7.1 update just like the App Store version.

Release day will be a lot of work for me. This system has had multiple RC's as well as the GM on it and I've never bothered to make a clean upgrade. When Lion releases, if I am unable to immediately purchase on the App Store, I will be installing Snow Leopard, purchasing Lion, making a bootable USB key, clean installing the official Lion release. This **** will sparkle! lol

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Release day will be a lot of work for me. This system has had multiple RC's as well as the GM on it and I've never bothered to make a clean upgrade. When Lion releases, if I am unable to immediately purchase on the App Store, I will be installing Snow Leopard, purchasing Lion, making a bootable USB key, clean installing the official Lion release. This **** will sparkle! lol

Just a thought. I'm a paid developer, I have the Lion GM installed, when it is released, are we required to buy the release version or does our developer account cover that cost?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Just a thought. I'm a paid developer, I have the Lion GM installed, when it is released, are we required to buy the release version or does our developer account cover that cost?
I'm unclear on this too, but based on how things work now, I suspect that paid developers can get the final release of Lion for no cost.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Do we have any confirmation on this? I've been thinking about it and if we devs have to pay for the final release anyway I might as well stop waiting and get the GM. If we get it for free (how would this even work?), then I'll just wait.

jschmitt

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
Do we have any confirmation on this? I've been thinking about it and if we devs have to pay for the final release anyway I might as well stop waiting and get the GM. If we get it for free (how would this even work?), then I'll just wait.

if you are a registered Mac Developer, and you have the GM then you already have the final release; At some point, Apple will update the Mac Dev Center page and will remove the "GM" label from the "Downloads" section of this page. Anyone who is a Mac Developer has access to the current, latest OS X build; [just like you do today with Mac OS X 10.6]; That is part of the benefit of joining the Mac Developer program.

John

jimmyw71

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
This is how to upgrade from GM to final release

There is a lot of misinformation and attacks from peeps in here. Not sure how this forum became a personal bitchzone, but let's try to get back on track here.:confused::confused::confused:

The build number of the GM is 11A511. The build number on the final release of Lion in the App Store appears to be 11A494, which means that the final release is a PRIOR build to that of the Gold Master. Now that that's out of the way, we can move on to the next question.

If you hold either the Option or Alt key while in the App Store and click the BUY button, you will bypass the OS version check logic and it will allow you to install the final release 11A494. This would be suggested and yes, you will need to pay for this if you are not a developer.

See how easy that was? No need to bash anyone. It was a simple question requiring nothing more than a simple answer.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
There is a lot of misinformation and attacks from peeps in here. Not sure how this forum became a personal bitchzone, but let's try to get back on track here.:confused::confused::confused:

The build number of the GM is 11A511. The build number on the final release of Lion in the App Store appears to be 11A494, which means that the final release is a PRIOR build to that of the Gold Master. Now that that's out of the way, we can move on to the next question.

If you hold either the Option or Alt key while in the App Store and click the BUY button, you will bypass the OS version check logic and it will allow you to install the final release 11A494. This would be suggested and yes, you will need to pay for this if you are not a developer.

See how easy that was? No need to bash anyone. It was a simple question requiring nothing more than a simple answer.

The version number thing is actually interesting. I'm pretty sure the GM would still update normally without a hitch, since Apple wouldn't just screw developers like that, especially since Snow Leopard final releases have been available on the dev site for a while. I am wondering why Apple would use a prior build for the final release though. Hopefully it's not some bug of which developers have not been notified yet.

EDIT: upon looking at several other threads, it appears that the final release is in fact 11A511 as well. jimmyw71, are you sure you didn't make a mistake on your release numbers there?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.