Upgrading from MBP 17" early 2011 to a MBP RD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bikerc, Jun 7, 2014.

1. bikerc macrumors newbie

Hello:

I'm thinking of upgrading to a MBP RD, and I was curious, if you did it, how is the experience with the new laptop, are you happy with it or you hate it (did you return it?) and so on.

My main reasons for upgrading are:
    - 1TB drive - even though I could spend the money on an 1TB SSD - crucial m550 or samsung 840 evo. I am kind of running out of space lately - have a 500GB SSD
    - faster processor - I am not too sure how much faster the new processors are compared to the 2011. I was looking this morning for a mac osx version of super pi but I haven't been able to find it
    - the RD laptops are lighter - less weight to carry around
    - last but not least I would give the old one to my son for college

Things that make me reluctant to upgrade:
    - it is not upgradable - I cannot change the hard-drive.
    - some users reported the ghosting/burn effect on the RD
    - transferring all the software might take some time, even though I was hoping I could simply copy the old hard-drive onto the new one and be able to boot up.
    - smaller screen

Thanks

2. Imaginator macrumors regular

I had to give up my late 2011 17" MBP due to speed and performance needs (USB 3 and TB2, my clients don't mess around with their storage capabilities), and while I appreciate the speed increase (mainly from the SSD), I don't notice the retina display at all and I truly miss the additional 2" worth of physical screen real estate. The weight difference is noticeable but not a game changer. Sure it's lighter, but I travel the globe and my 17" wasn't THAT much heavier for a guy like me. Thinness doesn't factor in when I am sacrificing real estate. That being said, I guess that's the best we can do at this point and I would gladly pay $5k+ for a 17" retina MBP.

3. bikerc thread starter macrumors newbie

4. pragmatous macrumors 65816

A couple things.

1) people that report problems refuse to get it fixed by Apple or make excuses

2) get applecare+; you'll get way better support

3) get an external monitor

4) get a 70 dollar external hard drive and time machine your mac. Restore it to the new one. Use the drive for additional storage.

Done.

You can upgrade the drive just right now there is nothing that exists that's larger than 1TB SSD. You can't upgrade the memory so get the max. You won't need more than 16GB for a very long time because the majority of Apps won't need it for awhile. By the time you need 32GB of RAM you'll be ready to buy a new mac a couple times. :apple:

5. Imaginator macrumors regular