Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdefjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Hi,

Was wondering can I take the drive out of a 2008 MBP (C2D) running Snow Leopard and plug it into 2010 MPB (i5)?

Have a Windows XP bootcamp partition on there as well, suppose I'll need to
update bootcamp if the partition will boot?

Trying to figure out the path of least resistance in getting my new MBP up and
running without re-loading everything (OSX and Windows).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
As long as you are running the latest version of SL, it should work. Boot Camp may be a different thing though.

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
It should be no problem. Just put your old hard drive in and it will work just like your old machine. You may have to reset the pram for good measure.

macagain

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Hi,

Was wondering can I take the drive out of a 2008 MBP (C2D) running Snow Leopard and plug it into 2010 MPB (i5)?

Have a Windows XP bootcamp partition on there as well, suppose I'll need to
update bootcamp if the partition will boot?

Trying to figure out the path of least resistance in getting my new MBP up and
running without re-loading everything (OSX and Windows).

I always use migration assitant... just did again a few days ago when the new mbp showed up. takes a few hours, but i just let it run overnight and the next morning everything was set. Everything (almost, but more on that later) got moved over, including things that I actually didn't expect, like all my mysql stuff, my ssl certs and pks,... I was very very impressed.

Ok the two things that didn't make it seamlessly:

1. I had to re-enter the ms office product key... no biggie.
2. something in the parallels pvm file. so, i just recopied it manually, and everything works fine. did not have to reinstall windows or anything... not sure about the bootcamp partition, but i suspect you can move that via disk utility...

I prefer MA, cos the new mac has some newer software (like ilife 11 vs 09), and MA deals with all of that. It's almost like a smart merge.

I don't know for sure, but I have to think that there're some different files, drivers etc for the different hardware component... so I figured best to let MA do it's thing.

hdefjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I always use migration assitant... just did again a few days ago when the new mbp showed up. takes a few hours, but i just let it run overnight and the next morning everything was set. Everything (almost, but more on that later) got moved over, including things that I actually didn't expect, like all my mysql stuff, my ssl certs and pks,... I was very very impressed.

Ok the two things that didn't make it seamlessly:

1. I had to re-enter the ms office product key... no biggie.
2. something in the parallels pvm file. so, i just recopied it manually, and everything works fine. did not have to reinstall windows or anything... not sure about the bootcamp partition, but i suspect you can move that via disk utility...

I prefer MA, cos the new mac has some newer software (like ilife 11 vs 09), and MA deals with all of that. It's almost like a smart merge.

I don't know for sure, but I have to think that there're some different files, drivers etc for the different hardware component... so I figured best to let MA do it's thing.

Was planning on moving over the 7200RPM 500G drive over to the new 2010
MPB..

hdefjunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Well I installed my old 500g 7200rpm drive in the new 2010 macbook pro
and OSX came up just fine.. So I did a software update in OSX.. and all is
AOK.

Tried booting my old WinXP bootcamp partition, it does boot, unfortunately
neither the USB or keyboard is functioning. I presume the windows "Found
new hardware" prompt is related to either USB or the apple keyboard.
Tried safe mode as well.. same thing. Although the "F8" key worked :)

So either I'm re-loading Windows or try to find a way to get the apple drivers
installed via OSX.

Ideas anyone.. before I re-load Windows?..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.