Upgrading from Mini to iMac. Which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaybar, May 15, 2010.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I currently have a 2GH Core Duo Mac Mini purchased on March 2008.

I want to run Windows 7 using Parallels or VM Fusion 3 with VM Fusion 3 being the preferred choice. I now have both software packages and hve used them both. Parallels is slow as I cannot devote much RAM. Fusion is slower.

I want to be able to run windows 7 comfortably w/o having to reboot.

Currently we do internet, email, word processing and light photo editing and light database. I want to explore software beyond iPhoto as I am not impressed with it.

I want a machine that will more fully utilize the graphics capabilities and technologies that Apple seems to be moving toward.

I am visually impaired, but I am not sure I need a screen as large as 27". Maybe? I currently us a 22" monitor at home and a 24" in the office.

I want a machine that will perform well for a full three to four yeard.

We do not game.

Do I need an i5 or i7? I was thinking of 6GB of RAM. Too much? too little?

Are their non-glare options?

Oh, how do I transfer all my stuff from the mini? This is a single account machine although two people use it.

Thanks in advance

jay

2. EasyJW macrumors member

best thing seems to be a 21.5" iMac base really, doesn't look like you need much more, i have parallels and win7 on mine on an alternate screen and it is sweeeeeet! [​IMG] the 27 might be a bit overkill in power for you when the 21.5 will save you money and be just as good, especially with an extra 24" monitor

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Either base 21.5" or i7 iMac, depending on your budget. Be sure to get at least 8GB of RAM, that'll speed up things a lot.

All iMacs have glossy screen so no matte :(

Hook Mini to iMac with Ethernet cable and use Migration Assistant to migrate

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I do not have an extra 24" monitor. That is at work will this change anything?

Jay