Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent_Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
Braintrust,

My 2019 MacPro is currently running 12.7.2 and I am considering upgrading to Ventura. Just curious if anyone has done so and if so, what has been the experience thus far? Any issues?

Thanks.

(cross posted in the Ventura sub-forum).

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Braintrust,

My 2019 MacPro is currently running 12.7.2 and I am considering upgrading to Ventura. Just curious if anyone has done so and if so, what has been the experience thus far? Any issues?

Thanks.

I'm finding it pretty stable - currently at 17 days uptime (after a system update) with sleep and wake every night. One thng I did have to do however, was lock out the system's ability to do maintenance while it's supposed to be asleep, by making the power scheduling file permissions unwritable by the system.

Otherwise, the calendar was waking the system through the night to make sure it hadn't moved geographically (to ensure "time to leave" alerts remained valid). The wake wasn't a full wake, so it wasn't initialising the graphics drivers fully (safe mode drivers only support 2 displays) which was messing up my window arrangement across my 3 displays.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
System prefs are a disaster. I found Ventura to be the 2nd most unreliable OS I've used after Catalina. Sonoma feels a bit more stable (yet system prefs is still a disaster).

That said, if youre on the latest version of Ventura you'll probably be fine.

Reactions: bax2023 and avkills

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Braintrust,

Thanks.

Why? If it ain't broke, don't fix it surely?

Personally, have found both Sonoma & Ventura a PITA (like most Apple OS updates) becuase they have little-to-no regard for 3rd party, pro apps, drivers, plug-ins, VIs etc. Still have a number of problems with that on Sonoma but booting back into Monterey, everything works. YMMV I guess, but first I'd be asking if there really is something in particular you might want in a Ventura or Sonoma update. Otherwise leave it alone & get on with your life vs. Apple's.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I concur if everything is working keep on trucking. I mostly did mine since my new work laptop came with Sonoma, and I wanted them to be on the same OS.

I waited patiently for a suitable AS machine to be released before pestering work for one. Very very happy with the M3 Max. I also wanted to be sure that *most* of the stuff I needed to run was native.

Agent_Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2021
I appreciate everyone's feedback and insight. "Back in the day" I was on the bleeding edge and couldn't wait to update to the latest OS. Now, with everything working, I normally take baby steps with my main box, the 2019 MP. Everything, except the ability to "Share" Numbers projects - requires Ventura (have to go to iCloud to do so) works fine and most importantly, my work-dependent apps and programs are stable.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I'm finding it pretty stable - currently at 17 days uptime (after a system update) with sleep and wake every night. One thng I did have to do however, was lock out the system's ability to do maintenance while it's supposed to be asleep, by making the power scheduling file permissions unwritable by the system.

Otherwise, the calendar was waking the system through the night to make sure it hadn't moved geographically (to ensure "time to leave" alerts remained valid). The wake wasn't a full wake, so it wasn't initialising the graphics drivers fully (safe mode drivers only support 2 displays) which was messing up my window arrangement across my 3 displays.
May I ask how you locked out the maintenance during sleep?

I am now on Ventura with 3 displays and have been having sleep issues. The past two days no issues and the only thing different is I activated ExpressVPN and have left it on - not sure how that would affect sleep?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
May I ask how you locked out the maintenance during sleep?

I am now on Ventura with 3 displays and have been having sleep issues. The past two days no issues and the only thing different is I activated ExpressVPN and have left it on - not sure how that would affect sleep?

It's linked in the last post in this thread:

Have a read at the Apple discussions link. Here's the cheatsheet of the commands - but be aware, you need to unlock the schedule before running system updates:

Check Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
pmset -g sched

Clear Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
pmset schedule cancelall

Lock Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
sudo chflags schg /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Unlock Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
sudo chflags noschg /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Check Wake reasons:

Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
It's linked in the last post in this thread:

Have a read at the Apple discussions link. Here's the cheatsheet of the commands - but be aware, you need to unlock the schedule before running system updates:

Check Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
pmset -g sched

Clear Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
pmset schedule cancelall

Lock Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
sudo chflags schg /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Unlock Sleep / Wake schedule:

Code:
sudo chflags noschg /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.AutoWake.plist

Check Wake reasons:

Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

I'll also add that I'm using Ohanaware's Sleep Aid to shut down Bluetooth and Wifi when the machine sleeps, because checking message notifications on my phone was waking the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.