Upgrading from my 20" iMac, to a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Dec 13, 2011.

  1. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a


    Jan 27, 2010
    Hello Everybody!

    As you all know from many posts, I have a 2007 20" Alu. iMac with the 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM from Crucial, and the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, running OS X 10.7.2. One flaw in this iMac I was notified about by my friend in Minnesota who gave me the iMac, is that the original hard drive failed in the machine, and that the Genius Bar replaced it around Thanksgiving 2010. The drive has had many errors reported in Disk Utility over the past year, and has had many clean installs of Leopard, Snow Leopard, and even Lion. If I can scrape together the extra $600, I was looking at a 15" MacBook Pro with the high resolution display. I don't do intense things like running Photoshop, FCP X, and After Effects at the same time. I do tons of web browsing. I'm in Chrome from 7 AM, to 11 PM everyday, primarily on Flash based sites (YouTube). I do some light gaming, Portal 1, Left 4 Dead 2, and Team Fortress 2 via Steam. I only play those games occasionally. I was also wanting to put Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit on via Bootcamp, and play Grand Theft Auto IV and the EFLC addon. I play GTA IV every other day, for a few hours. I occasionally get into Photoshop Elements, and iMovie. I only get into iMovie maybe once a month. Photoshop Elements, maybe a few times a month. I have a small collection of content, thanks to my iMac eating my iTunes library. I only have 30 songs in iTunes, all are which my exercise tunes on my iPod Shuffle. I listen to podcasts via iTunes, and get all my Music from Spotify. I watch TV and Movies via Netflix, and occasionally Hulu. I do word processing, and use iWork '09 like a heroin junkie. I use iWork at least 10 times a week, usually in Pages. I was looking at the base model $1,799 2.2 GHz Core i7 15" MBP with the High Resolution display. I'm not looking to buy until January or February. Should I wait a few more months for the refresh? Would this be a good machine for my needs? Your help is appreciated.

    Stay Cool,

  2. jmjoh122 macrumors member


    Oct 8, 2011
    I think that it would run everything that you mentioned. The only thing that I would be careful of is your HD space. Did you know which you were going to get?
  3. KylePowers macrumors 68000


    Mar 5, 2011
    Holy giant paragraph Batman!

    Sounds more than enough for your needs, so it really just comes down to what you desire. If 15in with high resolution is what you want, I say go for it. Although, not too sure how good it'd be at gaming. It does have a dedicated graphics card, so you'd certainly be better off with a 15in then with a 13in MBP or MBA... but I'll let the gamers field that one, as I'm not too familiar.

    It was updated twice this year (the latter in October just being a modest spec bump, I believe), so I'd probably just buy when you're ready. The new ones will probably incorporate Ivy Bridge processors and those aren't expected to ship 'til April-ish from what I've heard/read. But maybe Apple will get 'em early or get 'em late, who knows.

    The waiting game is a dangerous game to play; most people will suggest buy it when you need it (within reason, of course).


    EDIT: This article mentions the May timeframe for Ivy Bridge - http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06...xt-macbook-air-and-pro-models-due-around-may/
  4. Quinoky macrumors regular


    Sep 18, 2011
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Did exactly the same thing as you are planning to, upgraded from the 2007 2.4GHz C2D 20" iMac to my current 15" MBP. Really love it, the speed gain is incredible. Also, I can play most recent games on high settings now which is a definite plus (but not the main reason for buying it). :)

    It did take a while for me to get used to 5" less screen real estate, but the high resolution display will probably solve that for you. Everything just looks smaller. Personally I didn't want a higher ppi screen since it would probably hurt my eyes when using it over a long period of time.

    As to whether you should buy it now or wait.. Well, there's been an overload of threads about this already, so I suggest you have a look around.

Share This Page