Upgrading from my late 2012 iMac to MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mic2904, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I am considering to treat myself with a new 13inch Mbp with touch bar. I currently own a late 2012 21.5 basic iMac with 8gb ram. It doesn't have ssd drive and if I am being honest, it feels that it is becoming a bit slow-ish. Beach ball appears constantly when starting up, which is a bit annoying. Also in between the beach ball pops up more often now. Having said that, I am not a heavy user. Browsing, music, email, storage of docs and pictures and the odd movie.
    I use the iMac as a main hub for my 2 aptv. Thats] works fine.

Now I am really tempted to treat myself and basically replace my iMac with a Mbp. Was looking at the 512gb, 8gb and possibly standard processor. From what I read that should do me just fine, especially with the ssd.

While I have an IPad Pro, I would love to move over using that MacBook as my main portable device.

Any advice, thoughts from anyone?

Thanks
    Markus

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Definitely get 16Gb in the MBP. You'll love it.

3. Mic2904 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I ordered last night as I wanted to take advantage of the interest free offer. Went for 16GB option.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep it should be a great little laptop for that use case you do not need 16gb ram and will never need it in the life of that laptop with that usage.

An SSD will transform your iMac however endless beach balls is often a sign of a dying hard drive replace it with an SSD and you may not even bother with a new laptop.

5. Mic2904 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. In fact the question of 8gb vs 16gb was on my mind as well but ultimately decided to go with 16GB. I am confident that I will use this Mbp for a few years, hence thought I future proof it, as much as I can and RAM was the easiest. It cannot be upgraded afterwards.

I never thought of changing anything on my iMac. I think I will try to sell it, once I am happy with my new toy. Should get as few quid for it yet :)