upgrading from office 2004 to 2008, database issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by antonioconte, Oct 30, 2008.

1. antonioconte macrumors newbie

Can't move on with this, can't check my emails or anything!

I've installed office 2008, it upgraded 2004 (which was the latest version as I updated all the time) but it came up saying that the database was corrupt or something and wanted to rebuild it. so I tried to do it, and it took forever.

I came back after about 2 hours and my macbook was asleep, woke it up and it said there was an error and then said again to rebuild? so I am doing it again, in case it was the sleep that did it?

any ideas, is this normal? am I doing this right?

taking ages again! this stinks!

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

This isn't normal. You should call tech support (instructions are in your retail box) to get help with dealing with this. With a retail purchase of Office 2008, you get 2 or 3 (sorry, I honestly can't remember the correct number) free calls to tech support. That's the best way to deal with this problem.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

3. antonioconte thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, you are right.

although some good news:

Finally after reading loads of posts about the updates not working and registering a working copy of 2008, it works out that I needed to install in Safe mode - this seems to have allowed me to install all the updates and I am now running 10.1.4. hooorah! well, kind of.

Without looking deeply, I'm finding the following two issues, first one is major:

1/ I can't send or receive emails - only way is whilst the progress panel is whirring away, looking as if its trying to connect, if I Apple Quit, whilst the panel is poped up and asking me if I really want to do this, all the accounts successfully send and receive. How odd is that?

2/ The view pane is not showing 90% of the time?

really not impressed with this.

THought that since I had an intel mbp 17" things would be faster too. how wrong was I?

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why'd you upgrade from the very beginning? Just uninstall 2004 and install 2008. I never upgrade, if something goes wrong, I can't even remove the older version.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Hmm, that's weird. Have you checked your account settings to ensure that you've got them all correct?

Sorry, not sure what you mean by this. Can you post a screenshot?

Can't blame you for not being impressed. :(

If I were in your shoes, I'd do one of the following:
    1 - Uninstall and reinstall.
    2 - Call tech support. It's free (assuming you haven't used up your free calls yet), and we have several Entourage experts on staff who should be able to help you out. I know that spending time on the phone with tech support is no-one's idea of a nice afternoon, but it's a great way to fix your problem.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I wish I had just stayed with 2004 myself
    Unimpressed with 2008

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. antonioconte thread starter macrumors newbie

so, I've managed to update Office 2008 to the latest version.

I was having problems picking up emails and the preview pane wasn't work. I left the machine rebuilding overnight since the last post, and it seems to have worked.

Only issue now, the preview pane is sooooo slow! any ideas?