Upgrading from Office 2011 to Office 365

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Achiever, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Taking the plunge for a plethora of reasons and have the subscription purchased for Office 365. My questions are these:

1) Do I need to uninstall Office 2011 and then reinstall it from the Office 365 website? MS support forums and older Macworld articles suggest yes, however I note that there seems to be a setting through Word's menu which would allow me to "upgrade" to an Office 365 account. I need to know if they have simplified the process and this is now sufficient.

2) If I need to reinstall, the MS forums seem to indicate that I need to trash and delete the various files, folders and .plists individually and manually. IIRC, at least in Office 2008, there was an uninstaller for Office. Does it no longer exist?

All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. onekerato macrumors regular

Office 365 is just Office on Windows, Office on Mac, Office on mobile, and Office on web. AFAIK there are no new features if you already have Office 2011 for Mac installed. Just download the OneDrive client from Mac App Store, and sync up your existing Office documents to make it accessible from Office for Web/iPad apps.

When Office 2014 for Mac releases, it will be available to you at no cost if your Office 365 subscription is active. At that point, you can overwrite your Office 2011 for Mac install (the Office 2014 installer will likely do it for you.)

3. twingo macrumors regular

I have tried Office 365 and did not like it. For me it`s a real downgrade...
    The same with Windows 8 in comparison to Windows 7.
    Maybe i am getting old...

4. porthole2 macrumors member

Same here. Got it to make the transition from PC to Mac. Already canceled the subscription and will just use 2010 on the windows partition and see how the 2014 version looks when it arrives.

Really do not like the new format-theme.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seemed simple enough for me. The only reason to "tie" your current version of office to office365 is to get access to OutLook. Start that up and sign into your OneDrive account - be sure to have your office fully patched to avoid any headaches.

I didn't uninstall my office and its fine, I'd say there's no need.

----------

Perhaps, but the real power of office 365 is that you 5 copies of office to install on computers and 5 installs on a tablet. Plus each member of your family gets (up to 5 including you) their own allocation of 25GB of OneDrive space. Plus when the new version of Office comes out you get it for fore.

If you don't like Office 11 now, have no need for the multiple licenses or installing on a tablet, then I agree, its not the best tool for you.

6. Achiever thread starter macrumors 6502

Achiever

Thanks for the response. I was able to determine that a subsequent update to Office 2011 allows users to simply register for 365 through the apps without needing to delete and re-install them. So far, all seems well.