Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
England
Hey guys

Am about to purchase a new iMac to replace my old iMac g5... I was wondering is there a quick way to transfer all my files (photos, music etc) over from the old to the new?

Cheers :D

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
The new machine will ask you when you first start it up. All you need is a FireWire cable.

Alternatively, you can use the Migration Assistant later. Applications-->Utilities-->Migration Assistant

East as pie.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Fortunately, there is an easy way to transfer your data. It's called Migration Assistant, and requires the use of a FireWire cable as well as Target Disk Mode. Here's how it works:
  1. Connect a FireWire cable between the two Macs.
  2. On the old Mac, go to System Preferences, then Startup Disk. Select Target Disk Mode as the way to restart your Mac.
  3. On the new Mac, wait for the old Mac to mount as a disk.
  4. Open Migration Assistant (in your Utilities folder), select the old Mac as the source to migrate, and follow the directions. The process usually takes between 30 minutes and 2 hours, depending on how much data must be transferred.
  5. Once that's done, unmount your old Mac.
  6. Finally, you'll need to take your old Mac out of Target Disk Mode. I'm not sure exactly how you do this...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.