Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basketballm3j2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Its time I upgrade from my old MacBook (Late 2009), only 2GB memory.

Im not the most well-informed on all the memory/computing terms, but I really just want a computer that will last me a while and perform very well and fast.

I'm debating between the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro w/ Retina (13"), but leaning towards the pro.

My main question is how much RAM and flash storage (not sure what this even is) I should get...

On my current computer, I have around 2000 songs, a few movies, and a good amount of pictures. I use my laptop mainly for Email, web browsing (I often have open alot of tabs), and things like Word/Ppt/Excel etc. Im not big into photo/video editing, but I may dabble here and there with photoshop/playing with pictures.

The base MacBook Pro w/ Retina comes with 4GB RAM and 128GB flash storage, but I have no idea if thats enough for how I use my laptop and its longevity. While I am not trying to spend TOO much, I was wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade either my RAM to 8GB or both RAM and flash storage to 8 and 256GB?

Thanks

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Its time I upgrade from my old MacBook (Late 2009), only 2GB memory.

Im not the most well-informed on all the memory/computing terms, but I really just want a computer that will last me a while and perform very well and fast.

I'm debating between the MacBook Air or MacBook Pro w/ Retina (13"), but leaning towards the pro.

My main question is how much RAM and flash storage (not sure what this even is) I should get...

On my current computer, I have around 2000 songs, a few movies, and a good amount of pictures. I use my laptop mainly for Email, web browsing (I often have open alot of tabs), and things like Word/Ppt/Excel etc. Im not big into photo/video editing, but I may dabble here and there with photoshop/playing with pictures.

The base MacBook Pro w/ Retina comes with 4GB RAM and 128GB flash storage, but I have no idea if thats enough for how I use my laptop and its longevity. While I am not trying to spend TOO much, I was wondering if it is worthwhile to upgrade either my RAM to 8GB or both RAM and flash storage to 8 and 256GB?

Thanks

Flash Storage is a storage medium similar to hard drives but heaps faster.

For longevity purposes (since RAM is non upgradeable), I would strongly suggest the 8 GB RAM model with the 2.4 GHz i5.

As for the flash storage, click the apple logo in the top left, then about this Mac, storage and it'll say, '250Gb SATA disk' for example and next to that it'll say how much you're using. Make sure you buy a model one higher than what will fit just in case.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.