Upgrading from OS 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Noddie, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Noddie macrumors newbie

Hi there
    I am not sure if I am in the right part of the forum for my query. I am wanting to upgrade from the above OS to the Mac Box Set (Family) 10.6 version and was wondering if this is possible. I believe there has been a update to this version and is now 10.6.4. Can I upgrade for free from 10.6 if I purchase it. Also I have been told there are issues with snow leopard and Adobe creative suite,. I am wondering if these have been resolved. Thanks for your time with much regard :)

Gwen

2. Draeconis macrumors 6502a

If your Mac is Intel based, you can upgrade to 10.6, but if you have a PowerPC chip, you're limited to 10.5, as Apple discontinued support for PowerPC machines with the release of 10.6.

You can actually upgrade your machine with the 'upgrade' disk which costs considerably less, though this does violate Apple's EULA for 10.6, though what this means in practise is negligible as far as I am aware.

Any 10.6.x updates are free after the purchase of 10.6.

I can't speak much about Photoshop, it depends which version you have. The newer versions will work fine when fully updated, but older versions might not have an update, because Adobe wants to sell their latest versions, and as a result it might not work / run very well.

3. Noddie thread starter macrumors newbie

re: Upgrading from OS 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard

Hi there
    Thank you so much for replying to my query. :) I have an intel mac so it looks like I can upgrade. I have Adobe creative suite Cs3 so am not sure if I will have problems but from what I read online here and there, there are some issues. I appreciate your time on this.
    Regards

Gwen :p

4. philden macrumors newbie

Last weekend I upgraded my iMac from 10.4.11 using the current retail Snow Leopard disc, 10.6.3. I have CS3 on that computer, and the programs still appear to work OK. I haven't used them seriously since the upgrade, but they open and load files OK.

The 10.6 upgrade was pretty smooth, the only minor glitch was icons becoming invisible in the dock, which was easily fixed by removing and then replacing them.

5. Noddie thread starter macrumors newbie

Re; upgrading to snow leopard

:) Thanks heaps for your reply that makes me somewhat more confident.
    Cheers

6. DarthMoops macrumors regular

Update?

Hello Noddie,

Did you do the update? How did it go?

I'm in the same boat with Tiger 10.4.11 and iLife 06.

I see the Mac Box Set w/ Snow Leopard, iLife 11 & iWork.

Will iLife see the 06 version and do the upgrade? Or do I end up with both 06 & 11 on my Mac?

I don't have iWork at all currently so I guess that's a clean install.