Upgrading from OS X 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LowBattery, Jul 23, 2011.

1. LowBattery macrumors newbie

Please forgive my ignorance!

I want to download an app (Facetime) but I can't get the App Store with my current OS. Apparently I need at least 10.6. Way behind the times, I know.

When I go to apple.com and click on "upgrade to Snow Leopard," I get the page to upgrade to Lion, which of course I can't do because I have to buy it at the App Store, which I can't get without Snow Leopard.

How can I download an upgrade to Snow Leopard? Is there a way to skip straight to Lion?

Thank you for your time and patience! :eek:

2. simsaladimbamba

You NEED to BUY the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard UPGRADE DVD for 29 USD PHYSICALLY at some store of your choice.

Or could order it here or here.
    Or you could wait for this till August.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What Mac do you currently have? If you want Snow Leopard, you may have to act fast. Apple Stores have removed it from sale and Best Buys may not have it for much longer. If you can't find a local copy, eBay is the place to go.

You can get Lion without needing to upgrade to Snow Leopard. All you need is a friend with a Mac running 10.6.6 or newer. On their Mac App Store, login in with your Apple ID. Once the Lion app is downloaded onto your friend's Mac, close the Lion Install app if it auto opens, burn the Install ESD image to a dvd. Once the image is burned, delete the Lion install app from your friend's Mac. Use the dvd you burned to install Lion on your Mac.

4. LowBattery thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah. That explains why I can't find it to download!

Thanks for this advice! I'm the only Apple user I know, so I guess it's time to find a Best Buy.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

FYI...you can only install Snow Leopard and Lion on Intel cpus, minimum C2D

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

More direction, if needed:
    Go to :apple: > About This Mac
    On the Processor line, it will tell you if you have a C2D (Core 2 Duo)

7. LowBattery thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both very much! I purchased Snow Leopard at Best Buy already, but I see that I do have C2D.