Upgrading from panther to Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hierik, Oct 25, 2011.

1. hierik macrumors member

Hey Guys

So, my macbook pro just broke down. And all I'm left with is a Powerbook G4, that I borrowed. So I wanna upgrade the operating system on it but there are some things that I can't seem to figure out.

Can I go directly from panther to Leopard ? My powerbook meets the req.

Also, I have the install discs that came with my macbook pro. Any chance I can use them to install leopard on my Powerbook? When my powerbook is turned it just spits out the first CD ( which I think contain leopard) but what if I do a completely clean install? Will that change anything?

Hope you can help.

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You'll need a retail Leopard..
    I personally wouldn't do it though..

3. hierik thread starter macrumors member

4. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

The discs that came with your macbook will NOT work with your powerbook the discs are the intel version and your powerbook has a PowerPc CPU so you will need a retal leopard disc. leopard runs fine on my Powerbook G4 12in 1.5Ghz with 768mb ram :)

----------

"Can I go directly from panther to Leopard"

Yes, as long as you have a full retal version of leopard :)

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

my Powerbook runs OK on leopard, but I have a thread in here somewhere asking about flash..

There is more info on that thread..

But for day to day..it's pretty ok..

6. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Cannot agree more!

Leopard, no matter how you try to cut it on that laptop will be SLOW! For most everyday tasks. I know 10.4.11 is getting a bit long in the tooth, however update all the way, grab a copy of TenFourFox and Camino and MacTubes if you want youtube content and what not.

I think you will be surprised at how speedy and useful that lil mac will be for ya.

~Drake

7. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

If this is a borrowed computer (e.g. not yours), shouldn't you *not* change anything?