Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danetello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
My birthday is coming up next week, so I have decided to buy myself a 27" iMac as a birthday present :D:D
I have currently got some Logitech surround sound speakers that I use for my PC, could I just plug these into my mac and go? Or would I need to buy a specific adaptor?
I have also got many songs in my iTunes library. Is there any way to keep all my song details? (eg. date added, number of plays, last played etc.)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Apple store genius bar can transfer itunes library for you. Just make appointment.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm pretty sure you can just plug your Logitech speakers into your new Mac -- they should have the standard 3 1/2 mm stereo plug.

If your PC is not a laptop, I'm not sure how feasible it is to bring it in to an Apple store.

However, you should definitely be able to keep your iTunes library -- you just need to be able to copy it onto the Mac's hard drive. If it fits on, and you have, a USB thumb drive, that may be the easiest way to transfer it. Or, if you have an external hard drive, that would work. Alternatively, if your PC and new Mac can be placed on the same local network (e.g., plugged into the same router or switch), then you can share a Windows drive/folder to the network, and thereby copy the iTunes library to your Mac. There are other ways as well, over a network. Do any of these sound feasible?

danetello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
My speakers are surround sound, so have got 3 plugs (orange, black and green) instead of just one. Would I need some kind of adapter or something for it?

And also copying my files to the mac should not be a problem. The main thing is that I wanted to keep all my details like number of plays, date added, last played date etc. Is there any way to do this? Or will everything have to go back to 0?

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
I haven't done it in quite a while (5 years) but yes, you can transfer the entire library including your metadata such as play count. It was not a complex process.

If I have time I'll try to dig up steps on how to do it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Pull the HD out of your PC and take it with you when you go to get your iMac. Give it to the folks at the Genius Bar and see it they really are...:) (make an appointment).

Dale

Macwiz1003

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Transfer Music

buy very cheap external hard drive for PC off apple.com. Put all music in the external hard drive. Plug in external hard drive to Mac And Drag all music off of external hard drive in to itunes music folder.

Recommended External Hard Drive:
G-Technology 500GB G-DRIVE mobile USB Portable Hard Drive
$89.99.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
on windows your iTunes library is stored in the Music folder inside the User directory.
(windows XP has it in the My documents >Music folder)
Just copy the contents of this folder to the Music folder on OSX. It will copy everything, your library, phone (if iPhone) backups apps etc.

I don't know if it will copy your playists or your last played info, but at least it is a place to start.

danetello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
The main issue for me is keeping the data like play count, ratings, date added etc. Does anyone know how I can get this info from my PC to my Mac? :confused:

horizonflyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Chicago
The main issue for me is keeping the data like play count, ratings, date added etc. Does anyone know how I can get this info from my PC to my Mac? :confused:

I just bought an iMAC from my local Apple store, I purchased the One-To-One service ($99 for a year) http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/.

Part of that $99 included Apple transferring over as much (or as little) from my HP PC to the iMAC, I chose from them to only transfer over my iTunes library (20K songs). Worked perfectly, every single song, playlists, counts, date added, even the artwork transferred over - worth it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.