Upgrading from Powerbook... Good time to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgnnmr, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. mgnnmr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2010
    #1
    I'm convinced that my 12" Powerbook G4 is never going to die, but I've decided to make the jump to a MBP.

    I know there are no official rumours about an October/ November refresh, but I'm interested to hear others' opinions.

    Thanks!
     
  2. AppleCode macrumors regular

    AppleCode

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    #2
    I would think so, but if you could wait for next spring (i wouldn't) there may be a refresh then. Its still a pretty good time to buy.
     
  3. uberamd macrumors 68030

    uberamd

    Joined:
    May 26, 2009
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #3
    Now is probably a good time if you're going 15 or 17". If you're going for a 13" model I would wait a bit though as the next refresh may include an i3 or i5.
     
  4. Dizzler macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2009
    #4
    I'm glad to hear there is someone else who is still using their 12" PowerBook. I love mine. Can't seem to kill it. I only use it for traveling now, but it's been 5 years and it's still going strong. Would love to get a newer traveling companion but can't think of a reason!
     
  5. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #5
    We're about halfway between refreshes, it's now or waiting another 3-4 months.
     
  6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #6
    Um...

    I'm pretty sure a refresh is about every year (maybe a useless CPU spec bump) leaving about 7 months until a new refresh...?
     
  7. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2009
    #7
    One more thing...

    GET A MBP! I know your power book is still chugging but you will LOVE your new MBP. You won't believe how fast it is, especially with an SSD. You'll wonder why you've waited so long... Do it. Do it.
     
  8. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #8
    Coming from a PowerBook, three years ago was a good time to buy. Anything you get now will be night'n'day diff from where you're at.

    I liked the advice above too though, if you're in for a 13" then hang on a bit longer; what's a few more months now after all this time?!
     
  9. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #9
    I'm wondering at which point Apple will address the sharp
    palm rest area that everybody keeps complaining about. :)
     
  10. peapody macrumors 68040

    peapody

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2007
    Location:
    baltimore, md
    #10

    Haha wow I am surprised you brought this up. That annoys me about my mbp, but because my macbook air is so thin, I don't suffer from that with that computer!

    OP: I would say now is a great time. Like others said it will be night and day (I came from a powerbook G4 12").
     
  11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
  12. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #12
    No it's between 6-8 months.
     
  13. vexingv macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2008
    #13
    I've got a rev C 12" PB too that is still running (maxed the memory to 1.25 gb and new 160gb HD was installed a yr ago after the OEM started failing) although it is not my primary machine. I primarily use a self-made Win7 desktop now and use the PB during travel and bedroom browsing. It's pretty slow with flash intensive sites and sluggish in general. I'm holding out for Sandy Bridge which is to be released by intel in early 2011 for both desktop and mobile. Hopefully, Apple can put them in a MBP by next spring at the latest...
     
  14. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
  15. bamf macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2008
    #15
    The current 15" i5 is a fantastic machine. You will not be disappointed with it (especially if you put a SSD in it).
     
  16. ljx718 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    #16
    if youre debating between i7 and ssd, definitely get the ssd
     
  17. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    #17
    i7>SSD simply because the SSD can be updated later
     

Share This Page