Upgrading from S1

ross7777

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
MN
I’ve grown tired of the slow screen response of the series 1. I’m debating on the S3, S4 or S5.

Is the jump from S1 to S3 significant? The price is almost a no brainer but I’m tempted by the S4 at $350. But if I’m going to spend $350 why not just spend $385 and get the S5????

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I’ve grown tired of the slow screen response of the series 1. I’m debating on the S3, S4 or S5.

Is the jump from S1 to S3 significant? The price is almost a no brainer but I’m tempted by the S4 at $350. But if I’m going to spend $350 why not just spend $385 and get the S5????
There is a huge jump between the series 1 in the series 4 if you’re going to upgrade I would suggest going with at least a series 4 that way it will last you for a while

Reactions: Kimjongjohan

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I didn't notice much difference between my S3 and S4 but there was some. Both are WAY faster than S1. It's actually usable.

S5 has the same processor as S4. Different SOC as it has the gyro and backlight driver but the actual processor is identical so has no speed benefit. So for me I'm sticking with my S4. Very happy with it.

doobry

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I'm on a nike S2 so I've waited long enough to upgrade. Going to get the S5 as the compass and always on display are I think worth the extra money..

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I'm on a nike S2 so I've waited long enough to upgrade. Going to get the S5 as the compass and always on display are I think worth the extra money..
If I didnt have an S4 I would upgrade. Even if your on S3 I would not recommend the speed boost but certianly anything lower. The only time I wish I had always on would be during workouts so I didnt have to 'flick' but I've just watched the reviews and none have done a workout with always on. So not sure if it would constantly display an updated heart rate during a workout. Seems in alwyas on mode the screen goes dark and displays just the time. All other dynamic content is suspended to save battery. So not sure if always on would fix my one gripe.

Anyone got any other info about always on and workouts?

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
If I didnt have an S4 I would upgrade. Even if your on S3 I would not recommend the speed boost but certianly anything lower. The only time I wish I had always on would be during workouts so I didnt have to 'flick' but I've just watched the reviews and none have done a workout with always on. So not sure if it would constantly display an updated heart rate during a workout. Seems in alwyas on mode the screen goes dark and displays just the time. All other dynamic content is suspended to save battery. So not sure if always on would fix my one gripe.

Anyone got any other info about always on and workouts?
I have seen one review iJustine I think and she did a workout and the workout was there on the always on. The time of the workout increased, but not the milliseconds, just the whole seconds if you get what I mean. I think the HR was there too.

On another review they showed that all the watch faces have an always on mode and the only app that does too is the workout app, so providing that you are using the stock workout app you should be ok.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I have seen one review iJustine I think and she did a workout and the workout was there on the always on. The time of the workout increased, but not the milliseconds, just the whole seconds if you get what I mean. I think the HR was there too.

On another review they showed that all the watch faces have an always on mode and the only app that does too is the workout app, so providing that you are using the stock workout app you should be ok.
Yeah just seen on cnet that workout and faces is the only place you get always on. So thats good. Not good enough to make me pay again after my S4 but certainly for future updates this fixes my only real issue with the AW.