All iPads Upgrading from the original iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jmol, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jmol macrumors member

I am a university student who is still stuck with the original iPad. I use it mainly for reading university textbooks, occasional web browsing and playing the occasional game. However, the device no longer cuts it, it crashes very often and the lack of Facetime camera is quite annoying.
    I was thinking about purchasing the iPad mini this season but later I was made aware of Wal-Mart's Black Friday iPad 2 deal that makes it slightly cheaper than the iPad mini. I was curious about the board's opinions on this predicament.
    The mini and the 2 are the only options I am considering, as I am on a college student's budget. I have no problem with my original iPad's screen (while I wish it was more portable), so the lack of retina display is not a big deal for me.
    So what does the board think, iPad 2, or iPad mini?
    Also slightly off-topic, one of the only games I play is Magic: Duel of the Plainswalkers 2013. Has anyone tried this game on the Mini? I am curious on the playability of a game like this, due to the mini's screen size. This is a factor in my purchase.

2. WatchYouGo, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

WatchYouGo macrumors member

IMO, the mini may be a better route for you to go but it really depends on if you are ok with the smaller screen size. I'd lean towards the Mini because of the better cameras and also the lightning connector. If you have an iPhone 5 (or plan on getting one) it's nice to have one power cord for them both.

3. jmol thread starter macrumors member

That is what I was thinking. I don't have the 5, just a 4S and I don't plan on getting one till far into next year. I'm just curious on how some games look on the smaller screen. I can't find any testimony on how Magic 2013 looks and how useable it is on the mini.

4. shadowjeff macrumors regular

I would say go with the ipad mini, since it's newer. Future iOS might not even be supported on the ipad 2; even though they use the same chip, apple might restrict it just like Siri.

The ipad 2 is a pretty darn awesome device though, how i wished the retina ipad had the same weight and size of the ipad 2.

5. jmol thread starter macrumors member

The future version of iOS thing makes sense. Not that I think it is necessary to remove support of future iOS updates to the 2, while giving it to the Mini, I understand it will happen.

6. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

i would get a refurb 3 based on your budget... reading textbook is a lot more pleasant with retina display.

When reading PDF, what I find on mini is that, since the display is smaller, small text are fuzzy, yes you can enlarge it but then you ended up scrolling. Usability is a trade off... light weight for inconvenience.

Mini is the perfect size for gaming however, but for school, without retina a smaller screen it is just not as comfortable for the eyes.

If you read in front of a desk and not holding the device, refurb 3 is what I recommend.

(I am in grad school btw, so loads of reading in the forms of PDF and eTextbook).

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

if the price is not an issue then go with iPad 4. :apple:

8. jmol thread starter macrumors member

I wish price wasn't an issue, but I am a college student :(