Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hello All,

I am still on Tiger, mainly because I really like its feel and simplicity as compared to Leopard or Snow Leopard, and its been fine up until recently because it did everything I needed. Recently, I've been encountering more frequently apps that I want to try but that are only available on 10.5+.

I have a Leopard CPU Drop-in Disk, and am thinking about upgrading soon, however, I am using a 120 GB HDD that is getting close to being full, and I am concerned that installing a new OS would eat up some of that precious available HDD space.

Does anyone know what the size difference is between Tiger and Leopard or between Tiger and Snow Leopard? If it's more than 4 GB, I don't think it is really worth it to me. If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate the information. I looked around online but didn't really find an answer to my question.

Thanks in advance,

steiney

Aidoneus

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
I'm not entirely sure, but I think going directly to Snow Leopard will actually get you back a few gigabytes of HD space.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for the info! That would be pretty neat. Do you have any idea where I could do some follow up research?

Also, considering that I'm using a MBP that came with Tiger, and has 2007 top of the line specs (Core 2 Duo, 2.33 Ghz, 4 GB RAM), won't running Snow Leopard slow everything down? I heard from someone who had an older model than mine who upgraded to Leopard that the computer was noticeably slower after upgrading from Tiger. I'm about at the bottom of my threshold for slowness as it is, so I don't think I could handle a slower computer.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for the info. Is there anywhere where I could verify any of this?

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Also, considering that I'm using a MBP that came with Tiger, and has 2007 top of the line specs (Core 2 Duo, 2.33 Ghz, 4 GB RAM), won't running Snow Leopard slow everything down? I heard from someone who had an older model than mine who upgraded to Leopard that the computer was noticeably slower after upgrading from Tiger. I'm about at the bottom of my threshold for slowness as it is, so I don't think I could handle a slower computer.

I have a C2D 2.16 GHz, 3 GB RAM. Snow Leopard runs fine and will give you back some hard drive space.

ETA: Good point above.. SL is definitely much less space than Leopard. Not sure about Tiger. Probably still less than or equal to, since Tiger needed PPC code, too, and that's what SL cuts out.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
If you are that short on space maybe you should consider buying an external HDD to offload som stuff?

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
kuwisdelu: That makes sense about Snow Leopard cutting down on size by not having the PPC code. I didn't think of that. Also, thanks for the comparison. That a slightly less powerful model than mine, so if sL works fine on yours, it should on mine too.

gorjan: I actually have over 2 TB of external drives full of stuff. It's just apps and associated files, etc. and the fact that my HDD is only 120 GB to start with. I'm not one of these people who tries to keep everything on the internal drive :). But thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.