Upgrading from Win7 RC: How to backup data?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Illegit, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Illegit macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2007
    I have Windows 7x64 RC installed on my Mac via BootCamp. The RC will expire soon and I want to do a clean install of Windows 7. However, I do not want to lose any of my data or programs in Windows. What is the best way to backup and save my data so I can transfer it to the fresh install of Windows? Also, is there any special process to follow when doing a fresh install? Can I simply install Windows 7 into the previous Windows partition? Thanks a lot.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Back up your data any way you see fit - DVDs, an external drive, or flash drive(s). As for your programs, you're just going to have to bite the bullet, as it were, and reinstall those once you have a non-RC version of Windows 7 installed. You saved the installers for stuff you downloaded, right? If not, go collect them now, so you don't have to do it later.
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Microsoft suggests using their Wizard: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Transfer-files-and-settings-from-another-computer to transfer files and such, but as wrldwzrd89 it's your backup and you need to be comfortable it caught everything you needed. Personally, I'd probably do a file level backup to an external HDD, a winclone or Acronis backup and maybe even use VMWare converter to make a bootable copy of the previous install including applications.

But yes, you can simply install over the RC.