Upgrading From Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ashleywilsnach, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ashleywilsnach macrumors newbie

Hi,
    So I'm not really smart in all this type of stuff, but I need some help.

I am currently running Windows 8 Consumer Preview (using the product key DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J) on a bootcamp partition on my iMac and I am looking at upgrading to Windows 8 Pro.

I don't mind doing a clean install, there's nothing I need in bootcamp currently.

Will it be as easy as following and purchasing Microsofts current offer of an upgrade to Pro, downloading through the Windows I'm currently running and upgrade it? Or would it be better for me to download it, put the .iso on a disk, delete the current bootcamp, and reinstall from scratch using the bootcamp assistant? (I'm aware the bootcamp assistant doesn't support 8 but I know how to get around this)...

And does anyone know if this particular product key will even work with the upgrade (I got the consumer review software from my dads work and it seems to be a generic product key).

Any advice is much appreciated :)

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I upgraded from Windows 7. Simply ordered it from the Microsoft website. It downloaded and upgraded automatically. They even sent me a backup DVD on the off chance that I need to clean install.

I don't see why an upgrade install wouldn't work with the consumer preview. Try the Windows 8 upgrade helper and see if it'll work.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You should have a problem, it says this on the Microsoft website...

4. ashleywilsnach thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks :)

Which way would you recommend installing, or does it really not matter?