Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I have several macs with Snow Leopard on which Windows Xp is running under bootcamp. I have downloaded Windows 7 .iso files from Microsoft Dreamspark, but I'm confused about the correct steps to do in order to upgrade. Can someone please help ?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have several macs with Snow Leopard on which Windows Xp is running under bootcamp. I have downloaded Windows 7 .iso files from Microsoft Dreamspark, but I'm confused about the correct steps to do in order to upgrade. Can someone please help ?

Are you trying to do clean installs or an "upgrade" installation. An upgrade install will move the older XP installation into a Windows.old install. I would start fresh if I were you. Ensure you have enough Windows 7 keys too!

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Are you trying to do clean installs or an "upgrade" installation. An upgrade install will move the older XP installation into a Windows.old install. I would start fresh if I were you. Ensure you have enough Windows 7 keys too!

Sorry, I noticed your answer just now. For several reasons the upgrade has been delayed, but now we are ready.
We can install win 7 but also win 8. Can I upgrade from xp to win 7 simply from xp using the installation software ? And if I want to upgrade to Windows 8 ? Should I update Os x too in that case ? As I wrote we are still running snow leopard.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Sorry, I noticed your answer just now. For several reasons the upgrade has been delayed, but now we are ready.

We can install win 7 but also win 8. Can I upgrade from xp to win 7 simply from xp using the installation software ? And if I want to upgrade to Windows 8 ? Should I update Os x too in that case ? As I wrote we are still running snow leopard.

What I would do is download the proper Windows Support files from Apple's website and load it onto a USB stick. That way you can update the Windows partition without needing to keep opening Boot Camp Assistant under OS X. I recommend formatting the partition rather than a upgrade as I find Windows upgrades to be sloppy.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
What I would do is download the proper Windows Support files from Apple's website and load it onto a USB stick. That way you can update the Windows partition without needing to keep opening Boot Camp Assistant under OS X. I recommend formatting the partition rather than a upgrade as I find Windows upgrades to be sloppy.

It's just not clear to me if OS X Lion/Mountain Lion is needed to upgrade. What I'll try to do is install Windows 8 while running Windows XP and then download bootcamp drivers on an USB stick. Formatting is out of question, because as far as I know, there's not a real upgrade from XP to 7 or 8, just a clean install and I don't care about keeping old data (there are only old student Excel and Access projects).

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It's just not clear to me if OS X Lion/Mountain Lion is needed to upgrade. What I'll try to do is install Windows 8 while running Windows XP and then download bootcamp drivers on an USB stick. Formatting is out of question, because as far as I know, there's not a real upgrade from XP to 7 or 8, just a clean install and I don't care about keeping old data (there are only old student Excel and Access projects).

No. You could erase the whole drive if you wanted and run just Windows. OS X is completely independent from Windows even in Boot Camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.