Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 under Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by RickaG1, Oct 23, 2009.

1. RickaG1 macrumors newbie

I apologize if this has been asked before. I searched and couldn't find anything that was remotely on topic. I posted this question to the Parallels user forum but the Parallels employees seem to be unwilling to answer.

I have an XP (legal copy) virtual machine under the latest version of Parallels, and a Windows 7 release candidate virtual machine. The XP VM has all of my applications installed, like Office 2007 and Acrobat Pro. My understanding is that I will need to install Windows 7 upgrade to the XP virtual machine. I am concerned that the Windows installer is not "smart" enough to avoid hosing my Windows applications, and potentially, the shared data in my Mac's Documents folder. Has anyone done this yet? Other than making sure that I have a full backup of my data before I do anything, what else should I be thinking about?

Thanks a lot!
    Ricka

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

I can't help you other than I know you CAN NOT upgrade from XP to Windows 7 no matter what version you have.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscent...now_about_upgrading_from_xp_to_windows_7.html

1. You can't upgrade directly. Unfortunately, Microsoft has not provided Windows 7 with the capability to upgrade directly from Windows XP. The explanation is that so much has changed between Windows XP and Windows 7 within the operating system kernel itself, the Registry, the drivers, etc. that trying to get from Point A to Point B just won't work.

That isn't as horrible as it sounds. Frankly, although in-place upgrades are convenient, experts always recommend doing a fresh install when moving to a new operating system in order to ensure the best performance and overall experience. Just think of it like Microsoft did you a favor by forcing you to do it the right way. You're welcome.

3. RickaG1 thread starter macrumors newbie

XP to Windows 7 Under Parallels

Yes, I know that you can't just upgrade XP to Windows 7. After I posted this original post, someone posted on the Parallels support forum that the Windows 7 installer wouldn't allow them to do a clean install. Apparently, the installer doesn't recognize the Parallels XP virtual machine as being a "real" XP. Looks like I'll be using that Windows 7 release candidate until they get this resolved. The Parallels people are keeping their plans to themselves, at this point. Thanks for your help.

Ricka

4. RickaG1 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Upgrading" from XP to 7 Under Parallels

Since no one knew the answer to my question, I thought that I would post the solution. Someone on the Parallels forum spent hours on the phone with Microsoft and finally found someone who knew what they were doing. Here's what you need to do:

Create a new VM under Parallels and install Windows 7 from the installation disc, but leave the software key blank. That installs W7 as a "trial version."

After Windows 7 is installed, run the installer again and this time select "Upgrade." Be prepared for it to take hours and restart about 5 times. After it is finally done, it should take your upgrade key. Two people confirmed that this works. I haven't tried it yet because my copy won't be here until tomorrow. I will definitely clone my drive to a backup before I do.

I guess after you get it installed, you still have to deal with all of your applications, but PC users have got the same problem.

Ricka

5. yetiNW macrumors newbie

Yeah, that does the trick!!!

RickaG1,

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
    I had been having trouble with this, and your sleuthing provided me with a seamless install.

For today, at least, you're a rock star!

Cheers,

Yeti

6. umdajs macrumors newbie

According to what I have been reading on this thread it sounds like you do not need a previous version of windows to install Win 7 from the upgrade DVD. If the upgrade DVD cannot recognize a another VM containing windows, and you have to go through this dual install procedure...Do you even need a previous version of Win, or can you simply install Win 7 from a upgrade CD without any kind of preexisting Win OS? I am talking about installing through parallels 4.0.

Thanks,

Andrew

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I started from a completely clean slate, a blank partition. You just have to either do the dual install method (first time with no CD key, second time enter the key) or just install the first time with no CD key; do the registry hack and enter your key and you're all set to go.

Should work the same regardless if it is a real partition or a virtual machine.

8. RickaG1 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is correct. I read on another Windows site that this method worked in installing Vista, too.

The other problem I am now having is that Windows 7 can't see my files on my Mac, even though it is supposed to map My Documents to my user Documents folder on the Mac. I don't have that problem in the Windows 7 Release Candidate virtual machine, so I think it must be a problem with the Parallels Tools that are included in their recent "upgrade". It's annoying that I took the time to install Office 2007 and Acrobat Pro in the W7 final release virtual machine and now I can't use them. No wonder the people on the Parallels forum call it "customer disservice."

9. uscrules1 macrumors newbie

Do you have a link to the registry hack? How does that work? Can I just put in my key and not have to re-install? Thanks.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

11. damienm macrumors newbie

so is it possible to upgrade directley to windows 7

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read the link I provided in the last post.

B

13. Maxpilot macrumors member

14. zzmeg macrumors newbie

15. krburrell macrumors regular

16. Dtp8513 macrumors regular

I just bought a copy online (downloaded) of Windows 7 upgrade. When I download the various files and try to run the program, it doesnt do anything.

Any suggestions?