Upgrading from Yosemite On 2012 MB Pro. Question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Christopher11, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

Hi. It's time to upgrade the OS on my 2012 MB Pro 15. I currently have 10.10.5. Mostly, because there are sounds from Garage Band that I want to use in Logic Pro X that it seems aren't available until I at least get to El Capitan.

I d/l Sierra and am ready to install. I am backing up my entire HD and cloning, making bootable via SuperDuper. I just wanted to see if there were any thoughts / suggestions or warnings on this, regarding Sierra. For example do you feel it would better to try and just go to El Capitan? Thank you sincerely for any replies.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 31, 2017 ---
    It looks like folks on the Logic Pro user group are suggesting I go to El Capitan, for better compatibility. Can you suggest please how to do this? I was able to download Sierra of course... but Apple makes installing El Capitan more difficult. Thank you for any help.

2. treekram, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

treekram macrumors 6502a

You can get an El Capitan installer in the following ways:

1) If you "purchased" (downloaded) it previously when logged in to the App Store, you can download it again.

2) If you have a Mac where El Capitan is the last supported OS for that computer.

3) If you have an acquaintance that either has an installer or can get it from #1 or #2 above.

4) From a non-Apple source on the Internet.

If you get it from a non-Apple source, that could pose issues. I don't use Logic Pro but I would think the main issue would be from 3rd-party audio files or 3rd-party hardware. If you don't have these, maybe you should give Sierra a go if you can't get El Capitan from #1-#3 that I listed above.

EDIT: I meant to say 3rd-party plug-ins, not 3rd-party audio files - my bad.

3. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Perhaps I will start from the external USB bootable drive, install Sierra, and see how Logic works. It's real slow... but at least I will be able to test my 3rd party apps. Thank you guys.