Upgrading Full spec Air 13" - New 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bafi, May 26, 2019.

1. bafi macrumors newbie

bafi

Hey guys
    I'm an Italian apple enthusiast, which has been using a wonderful Macbook Air 2013, full spec with I7, 8gb of RAM and 512 SSD.
    I've been trying to do some video editing lately and am getting into drones, so I'm looking for a Macbook Pro to upgrade. Am a med college student, so the budget isn't infinite.

Given the latest 2019 refresh, I want to ask you:
    1- is there any reference about the performance increase between base 13" I5 and the I7 options (+360 € in Italy)? I didn't found much online, the machine should have i5-8365U vs i7-8665U as processors.
    2- Any suggestion to stick to the 13" for portability or the 2 more inch of the 15 really matters? 2 inch is 2 inch (if you know what I mean ) , but I don't want something that's really heavy or not portable.

Thanks so much for any link or help.
    I use FCPX and am into cryptocurrency, aside general operations. I don't game on the laptop (aside random Hearthstone/Magic matches).

2. bafi thread starter macrumors newbie

bafi

Guys, can you please help me? Also, is the 16Gb ram worth to keep the macbook for at least 5 years?

3. benobi macrumors newbie

I'll chime in. I would upgrade to the 16GB of RAM, but I wouldn't upgrade the processor (stick with the i5). I personally love the size and form factor of the 13". I think it is a great balance between portability and power since the quad-core processor was added in 2018. However, you may still find video editing to be a tad cramped. I do such light video editing these days that the 13" is not a problem. If that were to change, I would pick up an external monitor to get the best of both worlds.

All that to say, if you are going to purchase the 13" MBP, I would highly recommend looking at the 2018 model if you can find a good deal. The processors are almost identical to the 13" 2019 and if you ever have problems with the keyboard, it will be replaced with the 2019 keyboard during the repair.

My recommendation:
    2018 13" MBP (with Touch Bar)
    i5 quadcore
    16Gb RAM
    500GB SSD (if you can afford it)

4. bafi thread starter macrumors newbie

bafi

thanks so much for your reply. I think 512Gb is the minimum for a proper execution of Mac OS, which tends to occupy up to 90 Gb. I won't go lower than that as SSD.
    For the CPU, if not mistaken this is the comparison of the 2 models.
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/it/it/ark/compare.html?productIds=193555,135935
    The "old" 13" should have the i5 8259u, meanwhile the newer has the 8365. Seeing the compared stats, the major difference is effiency (the newer has a TDP of 15w compared to 28w from the previous model).

I'll surely go with the "13, because I need portability too. when you say that for video editing it might be cramped, do you think is capable of editing 4k footage of Mavic?
    I really don't want to go with the 15 option if I can.
    PS Has any review of the old 13 vs the new one been published?