upgrading g4 video card

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by OrangeSVTguy, Nov 27, 2007.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i'm looking to upgrade my video card further as the one i have now is a 64mb 9000 pro with the adc and dvi. the one i'm looking at is on ebay for $100 plus $20 shipping. it's a 9800pro 128 dual dvi with the nessesary power cable and a dvi to vga adapter. just wondering if that's a good price or if there's something better that i could get for my g4 500dp sawtooth for the same price or less. i can sell my current card for at least $50 on ebay to offset the cost quite a bit for a better one. i would like dual dvi as finding a adc to dvi cable costs quite a bit. thanks for your help

2. Blogger macrumors 6502

That's about as good as you'll get for a G4 anything better requires an 8X AGP slot. Incidentally, at that price it's probably a PC card that's been flashed and adapted for Macs, not a Mac card. A new Mac 9800 is about double that price.

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

does it really matter if it's an orginal mac card or pc flashed for mac?
    here's the link to it so $120 is a good price then for this video card?

thanks for your help

4. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

This one will not fit into the sawtooth. It's AGP 4X/8X.
    I flashed a PC version of the card for my G4/400. It was about 50$ for a Sapphire 9800 Pro 256 MB DDR2. Overkill for the Sawtooth, but all core image and Quartz Extreme effects run flawlessly and super smoothly, the impact of the low CPU speed is somewhat compensated.

You will need a card with two gaps between the contacts. These work with AGP 2X/4X/8X.

More info about choosing the right card and how to flash the ROM:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/ati-radeon

5. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i thought my sawtooth was agp 4x? also i heard you can tape 2 pins on the 8x cards to work as 4x? thanks though i really appreciate your help

6. Blogger macrumors 6502

The 9800 will work fine in a Sawtooth. The disadvantage of a flashed PC card its that ATI will tell you to take a flying leap if it breaks, and the fans do go quite quickly.