Upgrading Girlfriend's parents OS (2007 imac)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freezekitty, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Freezekitty macrumors newbie

My girlfriend's parents own a 2007 imac running OS 10.6, They want to upgrade their OS to El capitain. Aside from running superduper to clone the HDD in case of any issues what other tips can you guys suggest? I also am concerned that I won't get to it until after Sierra releases (I think 10.11) is as far as the imac can go. If I upgrade it after 10.12 releases how do I upgrade to 10.11 as it won't be available on the app store any longer.

Thanks,

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

As long as you've 'bought' El Capitan on the app store, you can always download it at any time in the future.

So log in with their apple id on your machine, start downloading el capitan, and then cancel the download if you dont want to finish downloading it on your machine.

3. Fishrrman, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Danger!
    Warning!

BEFORE you upgrade them, you should realize that Apple's "modern crop" of OS's -- from Mavericks on up through Sierra -- seem to have been engineered to run best on Macs that have either an SSD or a fusion drive.

This isn't to say that El Cap won't run on an older Mac with a platter-based hard drive -- it almost certainly will -- but what you may find is that the "running" seems more like "walking" on the older hardware.

I realize that the "perception of performance" is an individual judgement.
    What I sense to be "slow", may be acceptable to others.

If you want to "spruce up" the gf's parents' computer, my suggestion is.
    1. Create a cloned backup using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.
    2. Boot from the backup
    3. Re-initialize and test the internal HDD using Disk Utility.
    4. Install a fresh copy of 10.6.8. Or perhaps 10.8.5 if it will take it.
    5. At the close of the install process, use setup manager to "migrate back over" their accounts, apps, data, and settings.

Do it this way, and it should "clean up" the internal drive, which has surely become fragmented over the years of usage.

The re-install should clean up much of the fragmentation, and also create a large contiguous area of free space on the internal drive, as well.