Upgrading graphics card on Mac Pro; what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by p0intblank, Dec 29, 2008.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

My Mac Pro (2.66 GHz, 5 GB RAM, 7300 GT 256 MB) is having graphics card issues again. Instead of having to take it into Apple for another card replacement I've decided to purchase a new card altogether. I'm looking at the 8800 GT, but I'm not sure if it will if it my Mac's configuration. My knowledge on graphics cards isn't as good as it used to be, so what do you recommend?

I run dual displays at the moment with the 7300 GT and I can notice a drop in framerate now and then when using Expose and similar features. Would the 8800 GT fix this? Thanks, I really appreciate your advice!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

The 8800 GT would be fine, but unless you're a gamer you don't really need to spend that much. If you use pro apps, I'd go with either the HD2600 XT or the HD3870, either one would suit you well - the latter being better for gaming than the 2600. But if you are a big gamer, here's the 8800 GT for your Mac Pro. I have that card, and it runs excellently both with single and dual displays.

3. p0intblank thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the links! I think I'm going to go with the HD 3870 and the price isn't that bad. I'm not a big gamer on the Mac, so this card should be fine. Will this definitely work with the 1st gen Mac Pro?

Edit: After reading some reviews, it seems to be the right card for me. I'm going to order it now. Thanks again for the help!