Upgrading Graphics Card??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacCrank, Nov 23, 2011.

1. MacCrank macrumors member

Running X3100 on my 2007 White Macbook.

What are my options to upgrade, so I am able to run dual screens @ 1920x1200 screen? Cost? and does Apple offer this service??

2. simsaladimbamba

You buy a new 2011 15" or 17" MacBook Pro or a Mac mini with two video outputs, as the graphic card on the MacBook, which is an integrated graphics processor (IGP), is NOT upgradeable.

3. MacCrank thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for confirming. ;)

4. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

You can't even upgrade the CPU if you wanted to. Everything is soldered on.

5. nitro912gr macrumors member

Well with the thunderbold I/O it will be possible to upgrade to some badass external GPU.

I say "will" because as far as I know there is not yet any product in the market, just a couple of announcements.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Thunderbolt I/O isn't much of an option on an 2007 Mac Book.

7. athens macrumors member

athens

It will never be worth it because as a niche technology for pro's those external PCIx boxes will never come down in price to make it worth using vs out right replacing with a new computer. Additionally the driver support will be a issue the choices of cards used in a thudnerbolt PCIe box will be limited.

My honest opinion is when the time comes it makes more financial sense to sell the current laptop and buy a new one with better video graphics vs thunderbolt. I hope I am wrong and that the prices will come down and the driver support sufficient that we can do that. But I really have this feeling it will never happen.

And this advice is for only thunderbolt equipped Macs which shouldn't have a problem for a year or two with being under powered for gaming.

Sadly for a 2007 Macbook you have zero options.