Upgrading hard drive in iBook, need help!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shanewilliams, May 2, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I just got my new western digital 250gb hard drive for my iBook thy I'm passing on to my daughter. I bought a hard drive enclosure so I can just clone my existing drive with super duper. Am I correct in saying that the iBook will reconize the hard drive that's in the enclosure when I hook it up via USB? After that I will just need to go into disk utility and format the drive to work with the iBook, am I correct so far? If I remember correctly I use journaled or something like that? If someone could point me in the direction of doing this that'd be great!

2. brendu macrumors 68020

replacing the HDD in the iBook is very difficult.. If you know what your doing then you should be okay but if you dont, you should think twice and read alot on it / watch youtube videos of it...

You will want to take out the old HDD and put it in an enclosure... then put the new HDD in the iBook... then use your OSX install discs and use disc utility to format the HDD and install OSX.. then restore all your old files after reinstalling... that should work... im not positive how superduper works though..

3. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking it'd be done the opposite way then you mentioned. By this I mean put the new hard drive in the enclosure, use
    disk utility to format it and then use
    super duper or carbon copy cloner to clone the existing hardrive
    to the new one in the enclosure then install the new one. I don't have the install disk as they were lost along with the original box years ago!

4. brendu macrumors 68020

ok well since you do not have your install discs you are right, your way is best. do you understand how to replace the drive itself in the iBook?