Upgrading Hard Drive in MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terryblyth, Jan 19, 2008.

1. terryblyth macrumors regular

Hi all, first post (having only been an Apple user for six months) so a general hello to everybody :)

I've just installed all 50GB or so of Logic 8 on my MacBook. The only way I could do this was to decimate my iTunes library, delete loads of TV shows and old documents etc. For the moment I can assume they're safe through Time Machine.

I've been checking out the 250GB WD hard drive to put in my MacBook. Would it really be as easy as then booting from the Time Machine disk, and restoring everything plus what I've deleted?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

when setting up osx there is an option to restore from time machine. however when you install the hd, you will have to run diskutility from the leopard disk and set the hard drive up as HFS journaled and have GUID enabled. Pretty straight forward

welcome to macrumors!

3. terryblyth thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thanks dukebound.

I think I'll be alright on that side of things. I'm more concerned I guess about having everything the way it is now, PLUS all the files that I had to delete to squeeze Logic on my system. I'm not too experienced with Time Machine, can I restore individual files or will it restore the entire system from a single date/time?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i believe although may be wrong that if you install with time machine option, everything that was on your hard drive at last time machine backup will be transferred to the new hd

so in summary it will install entire system from last backup im pretty sure