Upgrading Hard Drive in New Macbook Pro "13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TopJack, Jul 16, 2009.

1. TopJack macrumors newbie

Forgive any naivete of my question but I've been searching without a clear answer.

I'm about to purchase a new Macbook Pro "13 2.26 and I'm planning to upgrade the drive to either a 500 GB (5400) or 320 GB (7200) as soon as I purchase it along with 4 gb of Crucial DDR 3 RAM.

I realize I will have to reinstall Mac OS X immediately as I plan to transfer files from my near-dead old Macbook after performing this install.

My question: is it that easy? Am I missing anything here?

I assume as soon as I turn on the Macbook with the new drive and insert the install disc it will take me through all the installation steps and I can then transfer my old info through Disk Utility. But I've read reviews that state the drive needs to be partitioned for video memory and other needs that make this a more complex proposition.

The basic question: what if any steps am I missing?

Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

You are missing nothing at all. If you have used the drive enough, you can also get an external enclosure for the new Hard Drive. Then, you can easily just clone the drive over.
    In oder for you to restore any information, you'll need some way to connect the old hard drive, usually with some sort of external enclosure.
    Keep that in mind, and you should be fine.
    Hope that helped!

3. glap1922 macrumors regular

I upgraded the hard drive in my new 13inch MBP as well. It was very simple, and the most difficult part seemed to be getting the screws back in at the proper angles. I then just put in my OSX disc and installed the hard drive. Very simple.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

The only problem is that he wants to transfer data, so it's quite a bit more difficult.

Anyways, I also have a 13" MacBook Pro, 2.26. I've ordered RAM already, and am waiting to order my Seagate 500 gigabyte 7200 RPM HD. ;)