Upgrading Hard Drive Late 2015 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by surf2snow1, Oct 25, 2015.

1. surf2snow1 macrumors regular

Wanted to ask what you guys would do? Local AASP will install a new SSD for $150 labor. I would like to take them a new crucial mx200 1TB. They warranty the labor, but not the drive (i expected that). For $600 they do the install and provide a Samsung 850 (warranty on both). I hate spending $450 on that drive, but is that what most of you would do?

Thanks!

2. huffy15 macrumors regular

So you have the iMac base model with the 7200rpm?

3. stevierg macrumors member

stevierg

Honestly the ssd drive from Apple while expensive is by far the best option. No aftermarket drive will be as fast and then you also have to deal with the hassle of the iMac being resealed

4. surf2snow1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Yeah we should have probably just did a build to order. We really only wanted the base model, but with a 1tb SSD. I think the biggest they offered in that one was 512. Could have went with the mid-grade one, but didn't want to spend more. I think we'll just take it to the AASP and have them throw in the Samsung. Was going to do the work myself, but these things are expensive and I don't want to break one :)

5. stevierg macrumors member

stevierg

iFix it does have guides on removing the screen to get access to the HDD. It's really tough without the right equipment, the biggest issue is that you need to purchase replacement adhesive strips to put the monitor back to the frame: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/iMac-Intel-27-Inch-EMC-2546-2639-2806-Adhesive-Strips/IF174-005-1

Also check which samsung drive you are going to get. I'm not sure if the base 27" model has an m.2 port for a more powerful SSD, or if you have to use the existing SATA port. I know the base 4k model removes the m.2 port.

6. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

If you did not get a fusion drive to start, the mounting hardware and other items you need does not exist within the machine and it can't be upgraded (according to OWC). Besides, at this point, an external SSD, over USB 3 or Thunderbolt) is just as good as an internal one and cheaper and easier. You cannot replicate the speed of the NVFLASH that comes pre-installed in the machine (2.5 times faster than a typical SSD), but an external SSD will still be extremely fast and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Keep it simple and get an external drive when you need one.

7. surf2snow1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help all. I am debating about heading back and seeing about returning and biting the bullet on a BTO with SSD. We bought it 7 days ago. Should have done the homework before about "upgradability".

8. surf2snow1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for your help all. Base model ordered with the 512GB SSD. Apple was REALLY helpful with the return. No issues at all. New iMac will be here Oct 30- Nov 3 :)