Upgrading Hard Drive on MBP iTunes Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by giftsandcurses, Dec 26, 2009.

1. giftsandcurses macrumors newbie

I just bought a 500GB 7200 rpm Hitachi hard drive to replace a 500GB 5400 rpm Western Digital hard drive in my 2008 unibody Macbook Pro. I will be using CCC to clone my drive to an external so I can swap it back over to the new drive. I have done this a couple times before with no problems whatsoever.

But first, I had a question about my iTunes authorization. I have read in some other forums about having to de-authorize iTunes on that hard drive before swapping over. Do I need to do something like this before swapping over mine? I have the most up-to-date software for both Snow Leopard and iTunes, but my account says that my account is already authorized on 4 machines and I thought the cutoff was 5. Any information you could offer before I get started would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

If you're cloning to another drive and using that drive in the same computer, iTunes won't know the difference.

3. giftsandcurses thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I figured would be the case, just thought I'd ask before I started. Thanks!