Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I have a 2007 santa rosa 17 inch mbp with a 7200 rpm 160gb hard drive that is getting too full.
My main work involves photo shop and video editing.

I would like to upgrade the hard drive to either a larger 7200 rpm drive or perhaps a 250 ssd drive.

First, can my mac take such an upgrade and could I do it myself?

Second, I have read about some problems with performance on ssd drives regarding their unequal read/write times and how this can result in negligible performance improvements (or even performance bottlenecks) when doing certain types of work. For what I do, is an ssd drive worth it or should I just look for a good regular drive with a larger capacity than what I have now?
Thanks for any advice.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
I have a 2007 santa rosa 17 inch mbp with a 7200 rpm 160gb hard drive that is getting too full.
My main work involves photo shop and video editing.

I would like to upgrade the hard drive to either a larger 7200 rpm drive or perhaps a 250 ssd drive.

First, can my mac take such an upgrade and could I do it myself?

Second, I have read about some problems with performance on ssd drives regarding their unequal read/write times and how this can result in negligible performance improvements (or even performance bottlenecks) when doing certain types of work. For what I do, is an ssd drive worth it or should I just look for a good regular drive with a larger capacity than what I have now?
Thanks for any advice.

Suggestion:

Try macsales.com, they have excellent information and videos on installing memory and hard drives, personally I would think that you can upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.