upgrading hard drive on the 13mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ROGERWILCO357, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

ok I have A 320 gig hard drive that came with the MBP 13. and it is full what is the largest size it will take 500 or larger? Also what is the easiest way to get my stuff moved to the new drive I just bought this hard drive clone dock guess all I need to do is remove the drive plug it in the A slot and the new one in the B dock and hit the button to clone has anyone used one of these before and do they work fear it might wreck my original drive . Is there a way to plug the new drive on the dock and use the usb cord to clone directly from the machine to the dock?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The MBP will take any 2.5" SATA drive up to 12.5mm in height. As of right now, that means the max capacity is 1TB. As for copying the data, don't bother with a dock, just get an enclosure for the hard drive, put the new one in, use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the old to the new, swap the drives, and you're done.

3. MrBink macrumors newbie

Restoring from Time Machine during installation would also be an alternative.

4. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

thanks

so just put the new drive into the enclosure i bought and use the cloner software cool do i need to partition the new drive?

5. simsaladimbamba

6. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

last question

you say they make a one terabyte hard drive that will fit in my notebook ? which brand or model should have bought that one darn didn't know that the mac would hold one that size ..oh well will buy one and use the 500 as backup drive for pics.

7. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Western Digital makes this 1TB internal HD

8. pszilard macrumors member

There is a lot of bad posts about the WD 1TB drives. Seems many fail, so beware! I would go with one size smaller like 750GB or 630GB from either Hitachi or Samsung or even Seagate.
    In my MBP I had replaced the optical drive with a 2nd drive. I use a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB, which is a hybrid SSD/HDD.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would stick with a 640GB or 750GB Western Digital or Seagate as well. Those Seagate Hybrids are nice too.

10. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

i just listed my samsung 1tb drive on ebay. i got it before i got the computer and realized it was overkill.

it worked great. no issues with it at all, no noise and no hiccups. samsung hm100ui. you can still get it from OWC, or you can find a pretty stout deal on one searching through ebay......

11. acslater017 macrumors 6502a

I too am in the process of upgrading my hard drive. I considered these three (sorry, don't have the model names off the top of my head):

1) 500 GB Seagate Hybrid (with small SSD section for fast app launching)

2) 750 GB Western Digital (7200 RPM)

3) 1 TB Samsung (5400 RPM)

I decided to go with #2, which seems to have the best combination of price, speed, and capacity at $105 on Amazon. The Seagate Hybrid seems good for launching things, booting up, etc. but the capacity is not quite there yet. The 1 TB samsung is sweet but a bit slow. I'm getting tired of iPhoto beachballs. :rolleyes:

12. ROGERWILCO357 thread starter macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

cool

thanks guys I just got the 500gig today and will be ordering the 1 terabyte . the install went smooth even though these screws are so tiny I could barely see them must be getting old eyes of just old anyway the clone software went smooth and without incident was very impressed will have to donate 20 buck tonight. well worth it cannot wait to upgrade to the 1 terabyte and make this my photograph mac.
    again thanks for all the replies and help
    Roger