Upgrading Hard Drive, Prices?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by G.T., Mar 7, 2009.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Hi my friend has a macbook and she has run out of hard drive space. We live in the UK. Would she be able to go to an apple store and get them to upgrade her hard drive and transfer her files, how much would this cost (in £ please). She is looking to put a 200gb drive in. Will apple have drives there or would the send the laptop away/keep it in store for a few days.

2. heppy macrumors member

i don't think apple will do the upgrade so you'll have to do it yourself, it is, however, pretty easy so long as you take your time. the only cost will be the hard drive and some software if you don't already have it, I upgraded my MBP to a 500gb drive and it cost about £90 and was done in about 30 minutes.

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/130

3. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

You can back up her files to a Time machine and Install the hard drive. Hard drive install in a MacBook takes under 10 minutes.

4. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I thought the genius bar would do it like installing ram etc. What if she got the drive and took it in would they not install it for her. I don't mind doing it myself but if it went wrong I don't want the responsibility considering its not my laptop.

5. heppy macrumors member

no, they won't upgrade the drive for you at the genius bar or anywhere. but it really is very simple so long as you take your time with it. or you could ask someone here if they live near you who could help out...worth a try.

6. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, so could anyone point me to some good UK sites to get either a 160GB or 200GB hard drive for the white macbook.