Upgrading Hard Drive query

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by puremagic, Oct 14, 2008.

1. puremagic macrumors member

When I bought my macbook it had tiger installed. I bought leopard when it came out and upgraded it.

I want to use bootcamp and install XP.

As i dont have much space left on my HD, I have ordered a 250gb one.

This is where I am confused.

When it arrives and I fit it. I presume I put on the leopard disc and install leopard on the correct partition formatting for xp.

I have backed up my HD onto a firewire external. I am not sure I have done this correctly. Please advise.

Is it a case of then restoring the external onto my new HD?

I would appreciate any help with this, I don't want to lose all the information off my drive.

Many Thanks

Sarah

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey Sarah -

When you say that you backed up your current HD, does that mean that you have cloned it using CCC or SuperDuper etc? If that's the case, you can test it by booting to the cloned drive instead of your internal to make sure that all is well.

Again, if that's the case, once you install the new drive and make it ready, you can copy the cloned drive to the new HD and your system will be just as you had it before, just in a new bigger house. -GDF

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There is 3 ways you could really do it some like it one way others like it the other way.

1) since you have everything backed up. You could do a fresh install of Leopard and then just copy over all wanted data.

2) If the data is backed up with Time Machine you can install Leopard on the new hard drive and open up Time Machine to do a restore.

3) as mentioned if you have something like carbon copy cloner you can clone the drive. Boot from the firewire drive and clone back to the internal.

The last time I did it. I got the new hard drive and an external case. After installing OS X I plugged in the firewire drive and used the migration assistant.

Just make sure to unplug the firewire drive before install the OS.

And for doing DIYs check out ifixit.com They have great step by step instructions on how to replace a hard drive among other things. Clear instructions and great detailed pictures of each step.

4. puremagic thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

I backed it up with time machine and also did something with superduper.

I will test the bootup from my external tonight.

I'm going to have a better look at the replies when I get home tonight.

Pure

5. puremagic thread starter macrumors member

I think I am :eek:

I booted from my external fine, so i went ahead and reinstalled my HDD and did the boot camp all ok.

I cannot copy back from my ext as I used superduper without paying. It looks like that is the only way. I cannot seem to be able to just copy the contents across.

I would be very grateful for advice, but I panic like mad that I might lose everything.

Pure