Upgrading Hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jwolf6589, Jul 5, 2011.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I am about to buy a 320GB hard drive. I can get a enclosure and I want to image my internal to the new drive. I am told that Carbon Copy Cloner & Super Duper will not do the job as they will not also duplicate my Boot camp partition. I need an app that will duplicate the entire drive and was recommended CopyCat X. Will it do the job?

Thanks,

John

2. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

not to say it wont work, but ive never heard of copycatx... if i were trying to copy over osx & windows I would first make a backup of windows with winclone clone. Then I would clone osx to the new hard drive with CCC and proceed to set up the drive for bootcamp using boot camp assistant. Rather than continuing with the installation however, I would then restore the winclone image to the bootcamp partition.

I recall having to use specific options in winclone to make this work, so make sure you look online/in any sort of help file in order to get the exact steps for windows

3. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

Oh great I tried running WinClone and was told that it works with NTFS volumes and my XP volume is FAT32. Will Disk Utility do the job?