Upgrading Hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 951storage, Sep 26, 2008.

1. 951storage macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am adding a hard drive to my mac pro. The new drive is a 640 gb and is installed in the 2nd slot. The original hard drive is a 240 gb and installed in the 1st slot.

My original hard drive has become about 88 % full and has slowed considerably since new. Booting up used to take about a minute, now I am waiting 4 or 5 minutes for the machine to boot.

I bought the new drive so I could move some of the software over from the old drive to the new drive to free up some space. But I am not sure how to do this and how it will effect the software when it goes looking for the applications and data I have moved.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can do this ? If I just drag and drop the applications and folders, will that be OK?

Roy

2. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

That's either the least helpful post ever, or seriously misplaced...

Anyway, I'd say it's doubtful that your Apps are the problem. It's standard practice to have all your applications on your system drive. If you need to free up space/improve performance you should be relocating your documents.

If you are using some of the heavier weight apps, like final cut studio for example, you can relocate some of the content if you wish. I believe a full install of FCS approaches 30GB, most of which can be moved anywhere.

So, leave your apps alone; move your documents.