Upgrading harddrive, how to transfer applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lexraider1, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Lexraider1, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

Lexraider1 macrumors newbie

Looks like I'll be doing some work on my early 2008 15inch Macbook Pro this weekend. My battery died from the pregnant battery syndrome and I'm also going to be upgrading the harddrive to a 750gb model.

I'll be going with a Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 7200-RPM unless someone can convince me of a better option. I'll probably just throw the old harddrive in an enclosure to access a lot of the files on there, so I really just want to transfer the applications from my current harddrive.

What's the easiest way to transfer all my applications from the old drive to the new one? I have OS X Lion if it makes a difference. I've read a few different things and some say to install the new drive first, others suggest to connect the new drive to the laptop, transfer and then install. Not sure what is the best method.

Thanks

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im new to Mac but i think Time Machine to a external hard drive is the easiest way

3. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

As mentioned above... backup current drive... make a recovery USB stick for lion then remove old drive and install new boot off lion recovery USB and restore from your backup.

4. AndreyATC macrumors newbie

Can the existing HD be backed up to new drive and then swap them?
    Is there a need for flash drive?

5. dakine17 macrumors newbie

dakine17

Was wondering the same thing. Can u just make a robocopy of the old HD?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

A program like SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner is great for this.

7. Lexraider1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So with TimeMachine, Super Duper or Carbon Copy, can you pick to just backup the applications for migration later?

I don't want to fill up the new drive with all my files from the drive I'm replacing, I'd rather just keep this as an external since I no longer access a lot of the files on a frequent basis. My thoughts are that I would just copy over the files I do use frequently (music, pictures) but not transfer everything and immediately clutter the new drive.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

what is the difference between Time Machine and Carbon Copy??? I am going to buy Seagate GoFlex 500GB next week for my MBP.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but time machines backs up just the os x partition and carbon copy would backup your bootcamp partition aswell

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper create bootable clone images. Time machine backups cannot be directly bootable.

I don't think CCC or SuperDuper will copy a bootcamp partition.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If I am to back up all apps and data using Time Machine then do clean install OSX and restore apps and data back to HDD?

Carbon Copy is like Acronics True Image for Windows PC