Upgrading HD. BRACKET SCREWS STUCK! WHAT DO I DO??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brent0saurus, Mar 31, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

I'm literally in the middle of upgrading my internal hard drive, everything was going well until i get to the bracket that actually holds the HD in. The screws are SOOO tight in there and the metal is really soft. I might've stripped one or two of them (there are 3 total).
    I've heard using needle nose pliers can get them free but they're so effing tight in there i can't get them free.

WHAT DO I DO!?

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Was the drive still warm?

Is this in a Mac Pro or a laptop?

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

push into them very hard and turn the screwdriver very little each turn. if you apply enough forward pressure with as little torque as possible you should be able to get them out. it will take a while but you dont want to strip them more than they already are.

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

If it's the bracket that attaches to the hard drive, you could slot the screw heads with a small hacksaw so you can use a flat blade screwdriver (it will ruin the screws but are easily replaced).
    Did you use the wrong screwdriver? Phillips instead of Torx

5. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

the computer is not warm. it's a powerbook g4. 15" 1.67 ghz

i am using a phillips head but that's what it told me to use; a #0 phillips head.

so how do i go about cutting a line into it? and i use a flat head to unscrew it that way?

thank you everyone SO much for your quick responses!
    i'm so scared!!

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Duct Tape that sucker in there. haha:p

7. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Just use a small hacksaw blade and slowly start cut a groove on the top of the screw head (take you time and wrap the HD in a cloth just in case you slip with the hacksaw)

**Do it at your own risk**

8. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

It seems like the area is too tight to do anything with a hacksaw, though(?)
    i wish there was a way to get the hd out without removing that #$%^ing bracket. I've gotten 1 of the 3 screws out, but now i think the other 2 screws are stripped beyond hope.
    i don't know what i can do. this must've happened to someone else out there. i can't believe how tight these screws are and how soft the metal is.

9. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

All i can say is get a torx #0 (the tool your suppose to use on the bracet) and see if that will get them out. Also you can try a power drill as a last resort. The power drill should genarate enough torque to get thosr suckers out. Good luck

10. mac88 macrumors 6502

Who told you to use that type of screwdriver? Just go to Lowes/Home Depot and they sell a drill bit that you drill into the stripped screw and it extracts it. This is a very safe bet. Good luck!

11. eldy macrumors 6502

You can also use a Dremel to create the channel for a screwdriver.

12. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

the ifixit tutorial told me to :(
    are there screw extractors that are that small? i just read they range from 3/32" to 1/2".
    do you think 3/32 is small enough?

thanks again for all of your responses! i couldn't even sleep last night worrying about my powerbook but you're making me feel better about it

13. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

okay i put the pb back together because i'm going to go to my dad's and use his dremmel but now the mac starts up with that folder that flashes between the finder face and a question mark.
    i'm freaking out.
    but that just means that it kind find the start up volume so what could've gone wrong? maybe i plugged the hard drive in incorrectly?

14. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

i took it apart again and reseated the hard drive cable and it works!
    i guess i'm going to go to my dad's this weekend and try a dremel tool to try to get the hard drive out.

thanks everyone for your help! i might start another thread on tips on getting a stripped screw out of a delicate area...
    looks like i'm just talking to myself, though.

thanks again, guys!