Upgrading HD: How to reinstall/transfer best?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by timmciglobal, Apr 29, 2009.

1. timmciglobal macrumors member

Ok so ordered the scorpio black 320.

What's best way to transfer to new HD? Should I bother with transfering or just reinstall? Which is best option? If transfering is there an easy way built in? (Someone told me hold down option when booting, plug my old disk into an external inclose, new disk in the macook but I've not found any instructions on what to do from there?)

Tim

2. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Here is the easiest way to do it and the way I went about it myself.
    1. Download SuperDuper! which is a free program that allows you to backup your system and also makes it bootable.
    2. You will need to get hold of an external enclosure so you can plug your new drive in.
    3. Back up your internal HD to your new Scorpio HD with SuperDuper!
    4. To check everything works, restart your Mac with the external HD (as soon as you hear the chime after startup hold down the option key until you see the available hard drives), select your external HD.
    5. If all goes well, you just have to swap your internal HD for the new one.(just note that you will need a torx screwdriver for the bracket that holds the hard drive in your Mac. Google search what mac you have and there should be posts on what size you need.)

b.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

1. At this point you want to be certain you initialize the drive with a GUID partition table using Disk Utility. Otherwise, it won't boot an Intel Mac.

4. Chipskip macrumors member

1. replace drive
    2. put old drive in USB external case
    3. boot to external drive
    4. run Disk Utility to clone drive
    5. Enjoy!

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As far as I know... Disk Utility does not clone a drive
    What exactly do you mean here?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Chipskip macrumors member

Disk Utility does clone drives.... very easily. I am not at home so I can't type out the exact direction.

The fallowing is from: http://www.midwesternmac.com/tutori...s-x-using-disk-utility-carbon-copy-cloner-etc

Using Disk Utility

NOTE: If you are having problems with this method of backing up using Disk Utility, there is an alternative that seems to be more consistent: Instead of opening Disk Utility from your Applications folder, you can boot your computer using the OSX Installation CD or DVD 1, then (after your computer is started up), click on the 'Installer' menu and select 'Disk Utility...' from there, then go through steps 3-7, restart, and do the rest of the steps outlined here. (Thanks, Niel!)

1. Once every month or every other month do a full backup to an external drive. Turn on and plug in the external drive.
    2. Open Disk Utility (in Applications>Utilities).
    3. Click on your computer's main hard drive (the one with Mac OSX installed on it) in the left-hand column in Disk Utility. (Click on the same name as the drive name on your desktop).
    4. Click the 'Restore' tab (Mac OSX 10.3 Panther or later required).
    5. Drag your main hard drive into the 'Source' white field.
    6. Drag your external FireWire drive into the 'Destination' white field. (make sure any other data on your FireWire drive is not the same name as anything on your main OSX drive, and that you have deleted any previous full backup by dragging everything to the trash and emptying it.
    7. Click 'Restore' and it will copy all data across to your FireWire drive.
    8. When it is finished, Go to System Preferences and click on Startup Disk, and select the External FireWire drive, then restart and make sure the computer is able to boot from the external drive. If it can, then everything went well, and you can unplug the FireWire drive.
    9. To restore (if you ever need to do so), do all these steps, except hold down the 'Option' key at startup and choose to boot off the external FireWire drive, and put the FireWire drive into the 'Source' field, and your main drive into the 'Destination' field.

7. timmciglobal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help btw guys!

Wow! HD makes a HUGE improvement guys.

Thanks a LOT!

Tim